Spicy Chinese potato Coconut Masala is one of delicious South Indian Dish which is prepared by Chinese potato and Coconut.In Kerala, Chinese potato is also known as Koorka. This is a spicy dish and very tasty. We can use it with Rice, Bread, Dosa and Chapati for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Koorka is a seasonable vegetable and mainly we will get on November and December Months. This is Kerala style dish. We can prepare variety of dishes with Koorka and it is very beneficial to health. This is very simple recipe. It is cultivating in Kerala now a days. We are making different dishes by using this Chinese potato and it would be very tasty if we prepare any dish with this. It is completely a traditional method and south Indian dish. Coconut slice is giving a special variety taste to this masala. It is my favourite dish among vegetarian dishes. If you don't want spicy dish you can add spice based on your preference. I am making different dishes with Chinese potato in my house. It can make with very less natural ingredients. This recipe will be very helpful to anyone who likes to have vegetarian dishes.
Preparation Time - 10 minutes
Cooking time - 25 minutes
Decoration - Green Chilli
Koorka - 250 gm
Chopped Onion - 2
Chopped Garlic- 1 teaspoon
Chopped Ginger- 1 teaspoon
Chopped green chilli - 1 teaspoon
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Red Chilli Powder - 2 tab spoon
Coriander Powder - 2 1/2 tab spoon
Pepper Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Garam Masala - 1/2 teaspoon
Coconut slices - 1/2 cup
Coconut Oil - 2 table spoon
Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs
Mustard Seed - 1 teaspoon
Water - As required to cook.
Salt - To taste
- Remove the peel of Koorka and wash it well and cut it as small pieces and keep it aside.
- Remove the peel of Onion and wash it well and chop it.
- Remove the peel of Ginger and Garlic and wash it well and chop it.
- Wash Green Chilli and cut it as lengthy pieces.
- In a pan, add koorka, chopped onion, ginger, garlic, green chilli, chilli powder, coriander powder, pepper powder, Coconut slices, salt, curry leaves and water and cook it well and keep it in one side.
- Heat another pan and pour Coconut Oil and heat it well.
- Splutter mustard seeds when Oil heats well.
- Then add curry leaves to this and saute it well.
- To this add cooked Koorka and mix well.
- Then add garmam masala powder and mix it well.
- Transfer it in a serving bowl and decorate with Green Chilli and serve it with hot plain Rice.
- To get more taste and flavour you can use fennel powder.
- To get crispy taste use roasted coconut slices.
- Chinese potato shouldn't overcook so take extra care while cooking.
- Try to cut it very thin and length wise.
- To get more taste roast Chinese potato when splutter mustard seeds.
- You can add cumin seeds powder if you like its flavour.