Bitter Gourd or Pavakka stir fry is one of the common and popular dishes in Kerala. Bitter gourd contains a lot of health benefits. We can make different tasty dishes with this healthy vegetable. Bitter gourd juice is very useful to sugar or diabetic patients. It is looking very attractive and entirely different from other vegetables. This will be available in almost all houses and markets. Today, I made very tasty and healthy bitter gourd stir fry. I have made it so many times at my home because bitter gourd is there in my house. I know that so many people are not interested to make dishes by bitter gourd because of its bitter taste. But it is very healthy vegetable and we can use it on daily basis. In this recipe, I have added little more grated coconut so that the bitter taste will become decrease. Mainly it is using as a side dish with rice. I can suggest you one better combination which I have tried so many times. The taste will be excellent if we have this stir fry with rice, sambar, and mango pickle together. I have added turmeric powder to this so that the colour will be yellow. If you are very health conscious you can avoid coconut oil because already we have added grated coconut. This is medium spicy, tasty and healthy stir fry. The main flavour will be coconut and bitter gourd. This completely traditional Kerala dish and we can make it very easily at home. It is very useful to each and every one including children. It can make at any time because it is available in everywhere and every time. We need not to care about its bitter taste because it is very good to human body. So try to have it more by making different tasty dishes.Preparation Time - 10 minute
Cooking Time - 20 minutes
Decoration - Curry leaves
Bitter gourd - 2
Chopped Onion - 1
Chopped Shallot - 10
Green chilli - 4
Grated coconut - 1 cup
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Curry leaves - 2 Sprigs
Coconut oil - 1 teaspoon
Water - As required
Salt - To taste
- Wash bitter gourd well and remove the seeds from inside and Chop it finely.
- In a bowl, take onion, shallots, green chilli, grated Coconut, Turmeric Powder and curry leaves and combine together very well by hands.
- Then add it to bitter gourd and mix well and keep it in a pan.
- Then add salt and pour required water.
- Cover the pan with lid and cook it for 20 minutes under low flame and stir occasionally.
- Turn off the fire when water evaporates completely and add coconut oil (If required) and mix well.
- Then decorate with curry leaves and serve with rice.
- To get a variety tastes add chopped ginger to this stir fry.
- Turmeric powder is an optional ingredient so you can add it if you need.
- To get more taste and reduce bitter taste splutter mustard seeds in coconut oil.
|Bitter Gourd Stir Fry|