It is a Kerala style traditional dish which is made by fish which is called as Fish Mango Stir Fry or Thoran. Fish dishes are very popular and highly demanded item in hotels and restaurants. Different types of fishes are available but price will change based on season. Keralites are not interested to have lunch without fish dishes so different variety dishes are available in houses and restaurants. Fish dishes are costly items but also everyone is ready to buy it. This very tasty and spicy fish thoran and it is the combination of Mango and fish so that flavour of this dish is entirely different. I have added pure coconut oil to this recipe so that it is very good for our health. We can prepare this without coconut oil and taste will not be changed. This is completely Kerala traditional dish. We will get good smell while cooking it and that can give the tendency to eat food. I would like to use it as the side dish with hot plain Rice for lunch. If you need spicier dish or red colour you can add red chilli powder. I haven't added chilli powder to this recipe. We can use any type of fish such as dried fish, small fish and big fish. We can use Gambooge (kudampuli) instead of mango. This is an excellent combination with rice, tapioca and chapati. It is very good recipe for those who likes fish dishes. This is very simple recipe so that we can prepare very easily at home. If we use clay pot to make this dish we will get very good and natural taste.
Cooking Time - 25 minutes
Fish - 250 gm
Raw Mango - 2 (medium Size)
Grated Coconut - 1/2 cup
Water - 1/4 cup
Chopped Onion - 2
Shallot - 10
Ginger - 1 teaspoon
Garlic - 1 teaspoon
Spicy green chilli - 6
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves - 2 Sprigs
Salt - to taste
Coconut oil - 2 teaspoon
- Clean and wash fish carefully and cut it as small pieces and keep it in a clay pot.
- Remove the peel of Mango and wash well and cut it as small pieces and add to fish.
- Remove the peel of Onion and wash well and chop it and add this into Fish.
- Remove the peel of Shallots and wash well and cut it as small pieces.
- Remove the peels of Ginger and Garlic and wash well.
- Wash Green Chilli and cut it into two pieces.
- In a grinder, add grated coconut, Shallot, ginger, garlic, green chilli, turmeric powder, curry leaves and salt and crush it together.
- Add crushed mixture to fish and pour water as required to cooking.
- Then cook it for 25 minutes under low flame.
- Then add coconut oil and mix well and serve it.
- You can use a little red chilli powder to get taste and good red colour.
- To get more taste use only Shallots instead of using onion.
- You can make this curry with dry fish.