Gulab Jamun is a sweet, tasty and very famous Indian dessert. You can make it by using milk powder or bread powder. Here I used milk and milk powder as the main ingredients so that its main flavour will be milk flavour. North Indians are mainly using gulab jamun as a special dessert for celebrations and festivals such as Holi, Diwali and Eid. Gulab jamun is available in almost all bakeries. Now a day it is serving as the dessert after lunch and dinner in business functions. If we add lime juice when we make sugar syrup it will not become thick or solid form, so that we will get proper liquid sugar syrup. To get soft balls we have to soak in sugar syrup for at least 3 or 4 hours. Getting proper taste and softness is important thing is making gulab jamun. As per our choice we can add kiss miss and nuts inside the balls. We need to fry these balls under medium flame otherwise it will become brown immediately and won't cook balls properly. We will get properly cooked balls if we use medium flame. We have to take extra care while frying balls. Now a day Keralites are also using this as a wedding special dessert. If we need any other flavour or taste we can add paneer also. It is looking very attractive and tasty dessert. We will get it from shops also but we can prepare very easily at home and serve it after lunch and dinner.
Preparation Time - 10 minutes
Cooking Time - 20 Minutes
Ready In - 4 hour
Milk Powder - 1 cup
Plain flour or maida - 4 tab spoon
Baking Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Warm Milk - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 2 cups
Water - 2 1/2 cups
Butter - 2 tab spoon
Lime juice - 1 teaspoon
Cardamom Powder - 2 teaspoon
Oil - For frying
- In a pan, pour water and add sugar and stir well until dissolve it completely and make sugar syrup.
- To this add lime juice and cardamom powder and mix well and boil for 5 minutes under low flame and turn off the fire and keep it aside.
- In a bowl, add milk powder, plain flour or maida, baking powder and butter and mix very well.
- Then add warm milk and make it soft dough and leave it for 10 minutes to become smooth.
- Make medium sized balls from dough by hands
- In a frying pan heat oil and add balls and fry until brown colour under medium flame.
- Add these balls into sugar syrup and soak it for 4 hours and serve it.
- Turn off the fire after add lime juice when make sugar syrup so it will become loose.
- To cook at inside of the balls fry it under medium flame.
- To get more taste add 2 drops of rose water in sugar syrup.
- To store it for long term keep it in a clean and dry container or bottles.