It is very tasty curry and I like this curry very much so in my house, we are making green peas dishes weekly once. I got this recipe from my aunt and I followed the same procedure first and it was very tasty but here, I changed the method because I would like to make my own preparation. To get variety and new curry I added potato to this curry and also used thick coconut milk instead of water. Its taste will increase if we use thick coconut milk completely and curry will become very thick. I have used roasted pasted masala so that it will have the flavour of non-vegetarian curry. Mainly it is served as the side dish with appam for breakfast and with rice for lunch and also can use with chapatti. To get very soft and tasty green peas we have to sock it in water for one overnight before cooking. Quantity also will increase if we sock it in water for one overnight. Green peas taste will be very bad if we cook it immediately. This curry has very good masala flavour and we should not add any artificial flavours to this curry. This curry is completely natural and healthy. We can use butter instead of using coconut oil at last. We can serve it to guest for breakfast because it is very tasty vegetarian curry and combination of green peas and potato are very nice and everyone can enjoy a lot with this tasty vegetarian curry.
Preparation Time - 10 minutes
Cooking Time - 30 minutes
Dried Green peas - 1 cup
Potato - 2
Onion - 2
Chopped Ginger - 1/2 teaspoon
Chopped Garlic - 1/2 teaspoon
Green Chilli - 2
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Chilli Powder - 1 teaspoon
Coriander Powder - 2 teaspoon
Fennel Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Grated coconut -- 1/4 cup
Coconut Milk - 2 cups
Curry Leaves -- 2 sprigs
Salt - To taste
Coconut Oil - 3 teaspoon
- Sock green peas in water for overnight and drain the water completely and put it in a pressure cooker.
- Remove the peel of potato and cut it as medium sized cubes and keep it aside.
- To this add 1 cup of coconut milk and salt.
- Then cover the cooker with lid and cook it until high flame until 2 whistles and keep it aside.
- In a pan, heat 1 tea spoon coconut oil.
- Then add potato pieces, chopped onion, chopped ginger, chopped garlic, green chilli and stir well.
- To this add salt and curry leaves and stir well.
- In another pan, heat 1 teaspoon coconut oil and add grated coconut and roast it until brown colour.
- To this add turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and fennel powder and roast it well.
- Put this mixture in a blender and make it paste.
- Add this paste into potato mixture and add remaining coconut milk and cook it.
- Then add cooked green peas when it boils and mix well.
- Cover the pan with lid and cook it well until thick and turn off the fire.
- Then add 1 teaspoon coconut oil and mix well and serve it.