Green gram is very healthy and protein rich item. It is used by vegetarians and it is looking very attractive. It has mild green colour and its size is very small and contains a lot of health benefits. We can make different dishes by using green gram. Green gram masala, green gram stir fry and green gram coconut stir fry are the main tasty dishes of green gram. Here, I have made tasty green gram curry and its method of preparation is simple and easy. I know that almost everyone familiar with this taste because it is an old recipe and usually preparing in houses and hotels. It is one of the common and famous curries in Christian houses. I learnt this method of preparation from my grandmother and she was making it in her house sometimes so I taste it from there first when I was child. Then I told to my mother about this curry and made it in my house. Now I am following the same ingredients and method. Green gram has more cooking time so we have to sock it in water for one night to reduce cooking time. This curry has thick consistency and we can use water based the quantity of green gram. It has the mixed traditional taste of grated coconut paste and coconut milk. We need not to use more ingredients to make this curry, all ingredient will be available in houses always. It has a good flavour of cumin seeds so I like this curry very much. It has an attractive yellow colour and creamy effects of coconut milk. It can serve as the side dish with appam, bread, rice and chapati for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Usually I am using it with appam and rice for breakfast and lunch. It will be available in all hotels as the side dish for breakfast. We can make very tasty, natural and healthy green gram curry at home very easy by using this recipe details.
Cooking Time - 25 minutes
Decoration - Fried Shallots, Curry Leaves and Dried Red Chilli.
Green Gram - 1 cup
Chopped Ginger - 1 teaspoon
Chopped Garlic - 1 teaspoon
Onion - 1
Green Chilli - 3
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Pepper Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Grated Coconut - 1/2 cup
Coconut Milk - 1/2 cup
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Coconut Oil - 1 tab spoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 tab spoon
Chopped Shallots - 1 tab spoon
Dried Red Chilli - 4
Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs
Salt - To taste
Water - As Required.
- Sock green gram in water overnight and wash it well and put it in a pressure cooker.
- To this add chopped onion and pour water as required.
- Cover the pressure cooker with lid and cook it well and keep it aside.
- In a grinder, add grated coconut, green chilli, turmeric powder, pepper powder, cumin seeds, salt and pour a little water and make it fine paste.
- Add this paste into cooked green gram and mix well.
- Turn on the fire and cover it and boil and cook it well and make it thick.
- To this add coconut milk and turn off the fire when it starts to boil.
- In a small pan, heat coconut oil and splutter mustard seeds.
- Then add chopped ginger, chopped garlic and chopped shallots and fry it.
- Then add dried red chilli and curry leaves and fry it.
- Add this into cooked green gram curry and mix well.
- Transfer it in a serving bowl and decorate with fried shallots, curry leaves and dried red chilli and serve it with appam and hot rice.
- To get more spicy use a little red chilli powder.
|Green Gram Curry|