Colocasia is a healthy vegetable and it is in the category of root vegetables. It has been cultivated more in Kerala and also it will be available on markets and its price may change based on the demands. So many people like colocasia very much and they are making curries and fries by colocasia. It is there in my house and everyone in my family like this very much. It can keep it for long term so that we can use it if it is not available. It contains a lot of health benefits. I have made different dishes by colocasia. Colocasia stir fry, masala curry, colocasia with yogurt and fired colocasia are the main dishes I tried in my house. Colocasia payasam is the dessert item and colocasia cutlet is using as snack item. Here, I am showing that how to make colocasia masala stir fry. It is completely a traditional dish and we can make it very easy with natural ingredients which are available at home. It is an excellent combination with hot rice for lunch and dinner. It is Kerala style traditional recipe. Colocasia is not only using by south Indians and it is used by north Indians and other gulf countries. Old generation people are telling that colocasia is one of the main secret of their health. If we use this type of vegetable daily basis our health will improve so everyone is cultivating this in houses. It doesn't contain any poison so we can have it without any fear. This masala curry has the mixed flavour of cumin seeds powder, fennel powder and garam masala powder so it would be very tasty. It has the traditional taste and smell of coconut oil and coconut milk. It is very good recipe for vegetarians and those who wants to try new recipes with variety tastes.
Preparation Time - 15 minutes
Cooking Time - 15 minutes
Colocasia - 200 gm
Onion - 2
Green Chilli -2
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Pepper Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin Seed Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Fennel Seeds Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Garam Masala Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Coconut Milk - 2 cups
Coconut Oil - 1 tab spoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs
Salt - To taste
- Remove the peel of colocasia and wash well and cut it as small pieces.
- Remove the peel of one onion and slice it.
- Cut one green chilli in lengthy.
- In a pan, add colocasia pieces, sliced onion and green chilli.
- Then add salt and curry leaves.
- To this pour one cup coconut milk.
- Cover the pan with lid and cook it half.
- In a grinder, chopped onion, chopped green chilli, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, pepper powder and pour remaining coconut milk and make it paste.
- Add this paste into half cooked colocasia and mix well.
- Cover the pan with lid again and cook it well.
- In another pan, heat coconut oil and splutter mustard seeds.
- Then add curry leaves and stir well.
- To this add cooked colocasia and mix well.
- Then add cumin seeds powder and fennel seeds powder and mix well.
- When water evaporates completely add garam masala powder and mix well.
- Turn off the fire and transfer it in a serving bowl and serve it with hot rice.
- To get more taste use coriander powder.
|Colocasia Masala Stir Fry|