Sambar is very famous dish which is made by mixing different vegetables. Everyone is using it on daily basis. Sambar is making in different ways in houses and also it will be available in hotels. Its taste will change based on its ingredients and methods of preparation. Lentil is the main ingredient to make Sambar. We can make it with roasted masala or with and without coconut paste or coconut milk. In Kerala, it is necessary side dish for Hindu wedding celebrations, Onam and Vishu traditional celebrations. Drumsticks, Yam, Raw Banana, Potato, Tomato and Yam are the main vegetables to make tasty Sambar. Its taste is entirely different from other vegetable dishes. It will have the taste of different vegetables, Masala flavours and little sour taste. It is mainly serving as the side dish with hot plain Rice and we need not use any other side dish if we have Sambar because it contains different vegetables taste. It will have the special taste and smell of Asafoetida Powder and that is the specialty of this dish. We can get the benefits of different vegetables through one dish. I made this sambar by using very easy and simple method so I give this name. It is really tasty and has the mixed taste and flavour of different ingredients. Let us have great lunch with this tasty and healthy dish.
Cooking Time - 25 minutes
Red Lentils - 1/2 cup
Tomato - 2
Drumsticks - 2
Ladies Finger Cubes - 1/4 cup
Pumpkin Cubes - 1/4 cups
Raw Mango Cubes - 1/4 cup
Cucumber Cubes - 1/4 cup
Carrot Cubes - 1/4 cup
Potato Cubes - 1/4 cup
Onion - 2
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Red Chilli Powder - 1 teaspoon
Coriander Powder - 2 teaspoon
Green Chilli - 2
Grated Coconut - 1/2 cup
Asafoetida - 1 pinch
Coconut Oil - 1 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Shallot - 3
Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs
Salt - To taste
Water - As required
- Wash red lentils and put it in a cooker and pour water as required and cook it until 2 whistles.
- In a pan, add sliced tomato, drum sticks, ladies finger cubes, pumpkin cubes, raw mango cubes, cucumber cubes, carrot cubes, potato cubes, sliced onion, salt and water as required and cook it well.
- In a grinder, add turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, green chilli and grated coconut and make it paste.
- Add this paste into cooked vegetables and add cooked red lentils and mix well.
- Turn on the fire and cook it well under low flame and keep it aside.
- In another pan, heat coconut oil and splutter mustard seeds.
- Then add chopped shallot and curry leaves and stir until fry.
- Then add asafoetida and stir well.
- Add this into cooked sambar and mix well and serve it.
- It will be tasty if you roast masala powders in Coconut oil instead of making masala paste.
- Roasted grated coconut paste will help to increase the taste.
- To remove the poisons from vegetables sack it in vinegar and salt water for 1 hour.
- Wash all vegetables well before using.