Pulissery is one of the famous traditional Kerala style curry which is made by yogurt. It is very easy to make at home and almost everyone is making this curry in houses. This is one of the special curry for Onam and Vishu celebrations and we can't avoid this curry at this time. We have to use very thick Yogurt to make it and I used raw papaya as the combination of this curry. You can make this dish little bit sweet based on our choice. To get sweet dish we are using Ripe Banana, Ripe Mango and Ripe Pineapple as the combination with Yogurt. I like this curry very much so we are making it in my house so many times. Aviyal is super combination with this dish so I am making it when I make Puliseery in my house. You can also try these combinations with hot rice for lunch and it will give us a variety special taste. This dish has attractive natural Yellow colour. To get exact taste of this traditional dish Papaya should not overcook so take extra care while cooking it. Raw Papaya is also very health which helps to increase human health. I used natural and fresh raw Papaya which was there in my home. Its main taste is sour taste and its demand is increasing day by day. We can get it from hotels as the side dish for lunch. it is spicy-less dish and it can keep it for 2 or 3 days. It helps to improve the digestion process of human body.
Preparation Time - 10 minutes
Cooking Time - 15 minutes
Decoration - Fried shallot, curry leaves and dried red chilli.
Yogurt - 1 cup
Raw papaya - 1
Garlic - 3
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Grated Coconut - 1/2 cup
Green Chilli - 3
Coconut Oil - 1 tab spoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Shallot - 3
Fenugreek Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Dry red chilli - 2
Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs
Salt - To taste
Water - 1 1/2 cups
- Remove the peel and seeds of papaya and wash it well.
- Cut it as small cube pieces and put it in a pot.
- To this add salt and pour 1/2 cup of water and cook it and keep it aside.
- In a grinder add garlic, turmeric powder, grated coconut and green chilli and make it paste.
- Add this paste into cooked papaya and mix well.
- Pour 1 cup of water and add yogurt when it boils.
- Turn off the fire when it starts to boil and keep it aside.
- In a pan, heat coconut oil and splutter mustard seeds.
- Then add chopped shallot and stir it well until brown colour.
- Then add curry leaves and dried green chilli pieces and stir well.
- To this add fenugreek powder and stir well.
- Add this mixture into curry and mix well and serve it.
- You can use Cucumber and Ash Gourd to make this dish instead of using raw Papaya.
- It is better to make with sour-less Yogurt.
- You need not to add too much Water in Yogurt.
- To increase the tastes of this curry add some Cumin Seeds.
- Its taste will increase if you fry chopped Ginger in Coconut Oil.