Banana flower with Red cow peas stir fry is also known as vazhakoombu vanpayar thoran. It is completely a traditional tasty recipe. In Kerala, we are planting banana so everyone is making banana flower stir fry in houses. Banana flower is famous in Kerala with different names such as vazhakkoombu and vazhapoovu. It is very tasty and healthy stir fry. A deep stain will get on our hand while we chop this but we can use oil to remove this deep stain. We can make this stir fry with Dhal and green gram. It is mainly served as the side dish of hot rice. It is very tasty stir fry and banana flower will be available in some super markets. I have used fresh and natural banana flower which is there in my house. It is very old and my mother's recipe and it is one of my favorite stir fry. I have used the same method and ingredients which is my mother followed. It is spicy less so it will be suitable for children. Banana flower contains a lot of health benefits so it will be very good to everyone. We can give this dish to children in tiff in box for lunch. It has the mixed flavour of grated coconut, garlic, banana flower and red cow peace.
Cooking Time - 20 minutes
Banana Flower - 1
Cow peas or Red gram - 1 cup
Onion - 2
Garlic - 2
Green Chilli - 2
Turmeric Powder - 3/4 teaspoon
Chilli Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Grated Coconut - 3/4 cup
Coconut Oil - 1 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs
Salt - To taste
Water - As Required
- Remove 3 or 4 outer layer of banana flower.
- Then chop it and wash it well.
- Then add 1 teaspoon coconut oil and pinch of salt to this and mix it well by using hands and keep it aside.
- Sock red gram in water overnight and add a little salt and cook it in a pressure cooker.
- In a grinder, put onion slices, garlic, green chilli, turmeric powder, chilli powder, grated coconut, curry leaves, salt and pour little water and crush it.
- In a pan, heat coconut oil and splutter mustard seeds.
- To this add curry leaves and fry it.
- Then add chopped banana flower and crushed mixture and mix well for 5 minutes.
- Then add cooked red gram to this and mix well.
- Cover the pan with lid and cook it well under low flame.
- Turn off the fire after water evaporates completely.
- Mix it well and transfer it in a serving bowl and serve it with hot rice.
- To remove the stain of banana flower use coconut oil.
- We can use only green chilli to this stir fry.
- To increase the quantity of red gram and softness sock it in water overnight.
- We can use shallots instead of onion.
- To get a variety flavours add cumin seeds.
|Banana Flower With Red Cow Peas Stir Fry|