It is very sweet payasam and almost everyone like the dishes of banana very much. Usually we are making different banana dishes such as banana fritters, banana chips and banana salad. We can use both ripe banana and raw banana to make tasty dishes. Now a day we are getting banana payasam in restaurants. This special payasam is using the special celebration of Onam. This payasam became very popular recently. Peoples are very interested to change the things or new things so that we are getting different new dishes and banana payasam also the new recipe. I tasted this payasam from restaurant first time and it was very tasty so I made this payasam in my house. I used jaggery syrup to get sweet first time after that I used sugar syrup and both are really tasty. Payasam is the special dish for Keralites and they are considering payasam as a special dessert for celebrations or occasions. We can use it either hot or cold and both are very tasty. It has the mixed flavours of milk, ghee and cardamom powder. To get variety taste we are mixing cooked banana in ghee for sometimes. We will get peanuts while we have this payasam. We can make this payasam in milk also but I would like to make it in coconut milk. We need not to use so many ingredients to make this dessert. We can make it very easily in less time. To balance the sweet we can use a pinch of salt to this. We can use dry ginger powder if we need another flavour and smell. It is very thick and also it has creamy texture. We can enjoy a lot with this sweet banana payasam.
Cooking Time - 20 minutes
Decoration - Fried Raisins and peanuts.
Ripe Banana - 1 kg
Sugar - 1/2 kg
Thick Coconut Milk - 1 cup
Thin Coconut Milk - 2 cups
Ghee - 1/2 cup
Cardamom Powder - 1 teaspoon
Peanuts - 1/4 cup
Raisins - 20
Salt - 1 pinch
- Take banana in a steamer and steam it well.
- Then leave it for some times to cool this.
- Then remove the peel of banana and small seeds and cut it as small pieces and put it in a mixer and make it paste and keep it aside.
- In a pan, heat ghee and fry peanuts and raisins and keep it aside.
- Then add banana paste to this and stir well.
- Then add sugar little by little and stir well.
- To this add thin coconut milk and boil it well.
- Then pour thick coconut milk when it became thick.
- Then add cardamom powder when it starts boil and mix well.
- Turn off the fire and mix with fried raisins and peanuts.
- Transfer it in a serving bowl and serve it.
- We can use jaggery also to get sweet.
- To get more flavour and taste we can add dry ginger powder.
- We can make it in milk instead of coconut milk.
- We can use butter to fry raisins and peanuts.
- To get more taste use fried banana.