In Kerala, Breadfruit is also known as kadachakka and this vegetable is very tasty. It will be available in almost all houses in Kerala. This is one of my favourite items. This tree is very big and it is looking very attractive. Mainly it will be available in the starting of rainy season and it will be available on markets at that time. Its price is less comparing other vegetables but taste is really good. It is the different version of jackfruit and we can make different dishes by using this. Usually we are making breadfruit masala curry, chips, bread fruit masala chips and beef with bread fruit. Bread fruit is there in my house so I am making different tasty dishes by using this. Here, I am showing how to make bread fruit stir fry. It is completely my mother's recipe and very easy recipe. Breadfruit is also have the stain like jackfruit so it will be little difficult to remove the peels but it doesn't matter because of its taste. It is super combination with hot rice for lunch. I used the same ingredients which we are usually using to make stir fry. I can say that this is completely a traditional recipe. It has the flavours of garlic, cumin seeds and coconut. It is very spicy-less dish so everyone can use this dish including children. It is very healthy vegetable so we can use this on daily basis. It will be very tasty if we use it with mango pickle. Everyone can try this recipe and enjoy a lot with this tasty stir fry.
Cooking Time - 25 minutes
Bread Fruit - 1
Onion - 2
Shallots - 5
Garlic - 3
Green chilli - 4
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Pepper Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Grated Coconut - 1 cup
Cumin Seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
Coconut Oil - 1 tab spoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs
Salt - To taste
Water - As required.
- Remove the peel of bread fruit and wash it well and chop it and keep it aside.
- Remove the peel of Shallots and wash it well and chop it.
- In a grinder, add grated coconut, chopped shallots, garlic, green chilli, turmeric powder, pepper powder, cumin seeds, curry leaves and salt and crush it.
- In a pan, heat coconut oil and splutter mustard seeds.
- To this add chopped bread fruit and stir well.
- Then add the crushed mixture to this and stir it well.
- Then pour a little water to this and mix it.
- Cover the pan with lid and cook it well under low flame and stir occasionally.
- Turn off the fire and stir it well.
- Transfer it in a serving bowl and serve it with hot rice.
- To remove the stain of bread fruit use coconut oil.
- If you need red colour stir fry use a little red chilli powder.
- We can make it without turmeric powder.
- If you need mashed jackfruit stir fry pour more water to cook.
|Bread Fruit Stir Fry|