Usually we are getting fish curry from restaurants and houses but this fish curry is entirely different from that because this curry is made by using dry fish. It is very tasty curry and also will have the special mango flavour. Fish and mango combination gives us very special, attractive and variety taste. I have followed traditional method completely to make this curry so that I used grated coconut paste and natural coconut oil. It is one of my favourite and special fish curry especially in summer season because mango will be available in summer season. I have prepared this curry so many times at my home and I am following my grandmother method always. It is an excellent combination with rice, mashed jack fruit and mashed tapioca. I would like to have this curry with mashed tapioca because it has great taste. Here, I used dry fish so we need to sock it in water for at least 15 minutes to get reduce the salt taste. Another important thing is that it will have very attractive Fenugreek powder flavour. It is very simple and easy method and we can make it very easily with limited ingredients. We can use any type of fish to make this curry as per our preferences and I used dry mackerel fish here. It is one of the special and favourite dish for Keralites. It is not that much spicy curry so everyone can use it including children. We can serve it as the side dish of lunch and dinner as per our choice.
Cooking Time - 20 minutes
Dry Mackerel Fish - 250 gm
Raw Mango - 1
Onion slices - 1/2 cup
Green Chilli - 3
Chopped Ginger - 1/2 teaspoon
Turmeric Powder - 3/4 teaspoon
Red Chilli Powder - 1 teaspoon
Grated Coconut - 1 cup
Coconut Oil - 1 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs
Fenu Greek Seeds Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Water - As required to cooking.
Salt - To Taste.
- Sock Dry Mackerel Fish in Water for 10 minutes to remove excess Salt from Fish.
- Then clean Fish well and wash well and cut it as medium sized pieces and make slits on both side and keep it aside in a pot.
- Remove the peel of Raw Mango and wash well and cut it as small pieces.
- In a grinder, add Grated Coconut, Turmeric Powder, Red Chilli powder, some Curry Leaves, Green Chilli pieces, Salt and pour a little Water.
- Make it thick and fine paste and keep it aside in a bowl.
- Heat a pan and pour Coconut Oil and splutter Mustard Seeds in it.
- To this add chopped Ginger and saute it well.
- Then add Fenugreek Seeds Powder and Curry Leaves and stir well.
- To this add Sliced Onion and saute it well until Brown colour.
- Then add Grated Coconut paste to this and saute it well for sometimes to remove the raw smell and taste.
- Pour Water as required to cooking and boil it well under high flame.
- To this add clean and washed Fish pieces and cover the pan with lid.
- Cook it half and add Raw Mango Pieces to this.
- Cover the pan with lid again and cook it well under low flame and make it thick as desired.
- Turn off the fire and transfer it in a serving bowl and serve it with hot Rice and Chapati.
- You can add sliced Tomato to this fish dish if you need.
- To get a variety tastes add some Cumin Seeds when we make Coconut Paste.
- You can add 2 dried Red Chilli pieces when splutter Mustard Seeds.