This drumstick curry is completely a Kerala style traditional recipe. It is very easy and simple recipe to make at home. We can make different curries with the combination of drumstick such as drumstick with tomato and drumstick with Lentil. Drumstick has a lot of health benefits and it will be available in south and north India. It will be available in almost all houses in Kerala. Keralites are using drumstick as the main ingredients of sambar and Aviyal. Drumsticks are there in market at any time and its price is little bit high comparing other vegetable. It is an excellent combination with hot rice for lunch and dinner. Drumstick mainly will be available in the month of March, April, May and June. I have used very fresh and natural drumstick to make this curry which was there in my home. To get more taste and thickness I have used mashed potato this curry. My grandmother and mother are following the same recipe to make this curry. I like that taste so I also followed the same ingredients and method. It is medium spicy curry and also need very less ingredients. We will get a very healthy, natural and traditional curry very easily from this recipe. This is completely a vegetarian dish so it will be useful to vegetarians. Everyone can make this tasty dish following this method and have a great lunch with this tasty Drumstick Curry.
Preparation Time - 10 minutes
Cooking Time - 25 minutes
Decoration - Fried onion and curry leaves.
Drumsticks - 5
Onion - 2
Potato - 1
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Chilli Powder - 2 teaspoon
Coriander Powder - 3 teaspoon
Grated Coconut - 1/2 cup
Fennel Seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
Coconut Oil - 1 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Chopped Shallot - 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves - 2 sprigs
Salt - to taste
Water - As required to cooking.
- Wash drumsticks well and cut it as 2 inch length and put it in a pan.
- To this add potato cubes and sliced onion and mix well.
- Then add turmeric powder, salt, some curry leaves and pour water as required and mix well.
- Cover the pan with lid and cook it well.
- Then mash the cooked potato and keep it aside.
- In a grinder, put chilli powder, coriander powder, grated coconut, fennel seeds and pour a little water and make it fine masala paste.
- Then add this masala paste into this cooked drumstick and mix well.
- Boil it well again and make it thick as required and turn off the fire.
- In another pan, heat coconut oil and splutter mustard seeds.
- Then add chopped shallot and fry it well.
- Add curry leaves and stir well.
- Pour it in a drumstick curry and mix together.
- Transfer it in a serving bowl and serve it with hot rice.
- It would be very tasty if we use roasted ingredients to make masala paste.
- To get another flavour use cumin seeds instead of fennel seeds.
- To get better taste add tomato also.
- To get spicier curry add green chilli.
|Kerala Style Drumstick Curry|