Mango payasam or Mambazha payasam is one of the special and favourite desserts for Keralites. It is very sweet and tasty payasam. Mainly it is prepared in Onam which is very special celebration in Kerala. Mango will be available in summer season and it will be there in both houses and markets. I and my family members like this payasam very much so I am making this payasam in my house some times. Mango will have its natural sweet and also we are using jaggery syrup to get more sweet taste. It is very healthy because I haven't used sugar. First time I made this dessert by using only milk after that I made it with both condensed milk and milk so I realized that it is tastier than first time. So I used this method always. This will have the natural flavour and also it has cardamom powder smell so our mind will become refreshing. We can use it hot or cold and usually it is serving as the dessert after lunch and dinner. Everyone likes the mango flavour especially children so everyone will like this payasam very much. It is completely a homemade dessert and also it is available in some restaurants. It is very healthy, fresh and tasty so everyone can enjoy a lot this special payasam.
Preparation Time - 15 minutes
Cooking Time - 20 minutes
Decoration - Coconut Slices and Raisins.
Ripe Mango - 6
Jaggery - 1/2 kg
Milk - 1 cup
Coconut Milk - 2 cup
Sago Rice - 1 cup
Ghee - 1 tab spoon
Coconut Slices - 1/4 cup
Raisins - 10
Cardamom Powder - 1 teaspoon
Water - As required.
- Remove the peel of mango and cut it as small pieces and put it in a pot.
- Then pour water as required and cook it well and leave it sometimes for cool.
- Then put it in a grinder and make it paste.
- Then strain it through strainer and keep it aside.
- In a pan, put jaggery and pour water as required and stir well until jaggery dissolved completely.
- Strain the jaggery syrup through strainer and keep it aside.
- Cook Sago rice in water and wash it well with cold water for 3 or 4 times and strain it and keep it aside.
- In a pan, add mango paste and jaggery syrup and stir well under low flame.
- Then pour coconut milk when it starts to boil and boil it well.
- Then add milk when it became thick and mix well.
- To this add cooked rice and stir well.
- Make it thick as required and add cardamom powder and mix together and turn off the fire.
- In a small pan, heat ghee and add coconut slices and fry it.
- Then add raisins and fry it.
- Add this fried coconut slices and raisins to payasam and mix well.
- Pour it in a serving bowl and serve it.
- To get more taste and flavour add 1 teaspoon dried ginger powder.
- We can add cashew nuts and almond
- if we need.
- We need to wash rice some times to reduce its fat.
- If we use cold payasam we can add a little honey to this to get good taste.
- We can use sugar also to get sweet.
- It will be tastier if we stir mango paste in butter for sometimes.