Pickle is the one of the world wide famous name and everyone know about different types of pickle. Keralites will be really happy when they hear this name because it is the favourite side dish for them. Some people don't eat food without pickle because it increases the taste of foods. Pickle is very small item but we can't celebrate special occasions without this pickle. Mainly we are using it for wedding celebrations, Onam, Christmas, Easter, birthday and housewarming celebrations. We can make different types of pickles by using mango, lemon, gooseberry, beetroot, dates, carrot, Bitter Gourd, beef, chick and different types of fishes. Taste will vary based on the items. Bilimbi pickle is very tasty pickle and it can make very easy at home. In my house, Bilimbi tree is there so I can make it whenever I need. Bilimbi is using the combinations of fish curry, stir fry and also we can make wine and juices. It contains a lot of health benefits and also helps to reduce cholesterol and blood pressure. We need not to use more ingredients to make this pickle. We can keep it for long term if we keep it in dry airtight bottles. It is an excellent combination with hot rice with sambar and Bitter Gourd stir fry for lunch and dinner. I have used sesame oil to make this to get more taste. It has the mixed flavour of fenugreek powder, Asafoetida powder, garlic and ginger. Bilimbi has a natural green colour and it will be very good if we use medium sized or aged Bilimbi to make pickle. This pickle will not have more sour taste and its sour taste and spiciness will be balanced. We can keep Bilimbi with salt in bottles for long term and make pickle whenever we need. This will be available in summer season and can't buy it from markets. This pickle taste is entirely different from other pickles and it is completely a homemade item.
Preparation Time - 10 minutes
Cooking Time - 10 minutes
Decoration - Fried Curry Leaves
Bilimbi - 1 cup
Chopped Ginger - 1 teaspoon
Chopped Garlic - 1 teaspoon
Chopped Green Chilli - 1 teaspoon
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Red Chilli Powder - 1 tab spoon
Sesame Oil - 1/4 cup
Mustard Seeds - 1 tab spoon
Fenugreek Seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
Asafoetida - 1 pinch
Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs
Vinegar - 1 tab spoon
Salt - To taste
- Wash Bilimbi well and cut it as small pieces and mix it with salt and keep it in a dried airtight bottle before one day or one week as per our choice.
- In a pan, heat coconut oil and splutter mustard seeds.
- To this add fenugreek powder and stir well.
- Then add chopped ginger, chopped garlic, chopped green chilli and curry leaves and stir it well until get a smell.
- Turn down the fire and add turmeric powder and red chilli powder and stir it well.
- To this pour vinegar and add Bilimbi pieces when it starts to boil and mix well.
- Then add asafoetida powder to this and mix well and turn off the fire.
- Transfer it in a serving bowl and decorate with fried curry leaves and serve it with hot rice.
- Don't add water when you keep Bilimbi salt mix in bottles.
- We can use coconut oil to make this pickle.
- Use dry spoon when you serve it.