Seasoned butter milk is one of the favourite curries for Keralites. It is preparing in different ways in different places. It is very simple and easy recipe. I have tried so many methods to make this curry. All methods are really very tasty. I did not find any difference in taste. It is completely a traditional recipe. It is considered as the main item for Christian celebrations such as Christmas, Easter and wedding celebrations. They are using it as the combinations of rice with some other curries. Especially it is the favourite curry for Christian birthday, wedding and house warming celebrations. We can't imagine any celebrations without this curry. In Kerala, all most all districts are following this method but in some districts people are not using this curry for celebration. Usually it is served with fish dishes and meat dishes but this combination is harmful to health but everyone will like this combination very much because of its taste. In my house, this will prepare so many times and mainly we are using this for lunch. We can use this curry with bitter gourd stir fry, beet root stir fry and any other vegetarian curries. It has the mixed flavour and smell of fenugreek powder and cumin seeds flavour. We have to use very thick yogurt to make this curry and also use yogurt which is not having too much sour taste. It is completely a spicy less curry and also we are using fried shallots and curry leaves to get good taste. Yogurt will be available at any time in markets so we can make this curry whenever we need. I would like to have this curry with Bitter Gourd stir fry and mango pickle and it is a variety combination. We can give this curry to guests with other curries for lunch. We are using turmeric powder so it will have a attractive light yellow colour. Yogurt is very good to health so I can say that it is very healthy dish for everyone.
Preparation Time - 5 minutes
Cooking Time - 10 minutes
Decoration - Fried onion and shallots
Yogurt - 1 cup
Water - 1 1/2 cups
Ginger - 1 small piece
Garlic - 2
Green Chilli - 2
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Coconut Oil - 2 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Chopped Shallots - 1 tab spoon
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Fenugreek Seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs
Salt - To taste
- Pour yogurt in a pot and mash it well by using a wooden spoon.
- Then add salt and water and mix together.
- In a pan, heat coconut oil and splutter mustard seeds.
- To this add Fenu Greek seeds, cumin seeds and chopped shallot and fry it.
- Then add chopped ginger, garlic and green chilli and fry well.
- Then add curry leaves and fry it.
- To this add turmeric powder and stir well.
- Turn down the fire and pour yogurt to this.
- Turn off the fire before it starts to boil and mix well.
- Pour it in a serving bowl and serve it with hot rice.
- To get more thickness use coconut paste.
- To get light orange colour add a little chilli powder.
- It will last for 2 or 3 days but if we use coconut paste it will not last.
- We have to use very thick yogurt to make this curry.
|Kerala Style Seasoned Butter Milk|