Black chick peas contain a lot of protein so it can use it on daily basis to improve health of the body. To become soft and increase the size of black chick peas we have to sock it in water overnight and it also helps to save cooking time. Two categories of chick peas is available on market, one is black colour chick peas and the other one is white colour chick peas and both are very healthy. Here I used black chick peas to make stir fry. Black chick peas stir fry is very popular and famous dish to everyone. People are making this in different ways but it will be very tasty if we use any method. In Kerala, chick peas are using to make different traditional dishes in Onam and Vishu. Pumpkin chick peas curry, potato black chick peas curry and spinach chick peas are the common dishes. Chick peas are mostly cultivating in North India and they are using chick peas and its leaves. Chick peas leaves is very healthy and we can use it to make dishes. I have made black chick peas stir fry so many times in my house and it is very tasty stir fry. This stir fry has the mixed smell and taste of cumin seeds and garam masala powder. This stir fry is looking very attractive when we serve it. It is completely a traditional dish and special for everyone especially vegetarians. Black chick peas curry is available in everywhere and mainly it is using as the side dish of breakfast. This recipe is very simple and easy method. Crushed coconut and dried red chillies are giving the variety taste of this stir fry. It can give children as lunch side dish when they are going to school. This stir fry is entirely different from other stir fries. Let us enjoy lunch with this special and tasty black chick peas stir fry.
Preparation Time - 10 minutes
Cooking Time - 25 minutes
Decoration - Curry Leaves
Black Chick Peas - 1 cup
Garlic - 2
Onion - 2
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Dried Red Chilli - 3
Grated Coconut - 1/2 cup
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Garam Masala Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Coconut Oil - 1 tab spoon
Mustard Seed - 1 teaspoon
Chopped Shallots - 1 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs
Salt - To taste
Water - As required to cooking.
- Sock black chick peas in water with salt overnight.
- Next day, wash it well and put it in a pressure cooker and pour water as required and cook it well and keep it aside.
- In a grinder, put garlic, sliced onion, turmeric powder, dried red chillies, grated coconut, cumin seeds, curry leaves and salt and crush it together.
- In a pan, heat coconut oil and splutter mustard seeds.
- Then add chopped shallots and fry it.
- Then add curry leaves and crushed coconut mixture and stir well for some times.
- To this add cooked black chick peas and mix well.
- Cover the pan with lid and cook it well under low flame and stir occasionally.
- Then add garam masala powder and mix well.
- Turn off the fire when water evaporates completely.
- Transfer it in a serving bowl and decorate with curry leaves and serve it with hot rice.