Steamed rice cake is one of the very tasty evening snack. So many fried items we are using as evening snacks such as banana fritters, jackfruit fritters and onion fritters. But these all are not that much healthy because it has been fried in oil. Here I am showing the recipe of variety, healthy and soft sweet snack. It is the main snack in Kerala and it is also known as Vattayappam. It doesn't contain oil and we need not fry it. It is preparing by using raw rice and raw rice is mainly using to make breakfast dishes such as dosa, idly and appam. Steamed rice cake is making in my house some times and it is mainly used by Keralites especially in Christian families. It is preparing for the Christian celebrations such as Christmas and Easter so we can say that it is their main sweet dish without any doubts and almost every Christians has been tasted it. It is not new recipe, this is a traditional recipe and I also followed that method to make this rice cake. To get softness we are keeping it overnight and it is looking very attractive. If we use the mix of raw rice and cooked rice its softness will increase so we will get a very soft steamed rice cake after cooking. I have added coconut, cardamom powder and cumin seeds powder so it will have a good taste and smell when we have it. It is the favourite cake for children. We can make it without any efforts with fewer ingredients. It is super combination with hot tea and it can use without any fear about health. This snack can serve to guests and our dearest ones. This is my favourite snack because I like its softness and taste very much. Let us enjoy evening with this tasty, soft, healthy and sweet steamed rice cake.
Preparation Time - 15 minutes
Cooking Time - 20 minutes
Raw Rice - 1 cup
Grated Coconut - 1 cup
Cooked Rice - 1/2 cup
Yeast - 1/2 teaspoon
Cardamom Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Cumin Seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Ghee - 1 teaspoon
Salt - 1 Pinch
Water - As Required
- Wash Raw rice well and sock it in water for 5 hours.
- Wash it well again and put it in a grinder.
- Then add grated coconut and cooked rice and make it paste.
- To this add yeast, cardamom powder, cumin seeds, sugar and salt and pour water as required and make it thick paste.
- Pour it in a pot and cover it with lid and leave it overnight.
- Next day, mix this puffy mix well.
- Take a steel plate and apply ghee on it and pour this mixture up to 3/4 portion.
- Put it in a steamer and cover it.
- Cook it well in steam and leave it for some times to cool.
- Demould it from plate and cut it as small or medium sized pieces and serve it in a serving bowl with hot tea.
- You can use rice wine instead of yeast.
- To get more softness use egg white.
- To get more taste and attractive add cashew nuts and raisins.