Today I made Keralites special traditional vegetarian dish which is called as Olan Curry. This is serving as the main side dish for Onam and Vishu celebrations also it is using for Hindu wedding celebrations. It is very tasty dish and we can't make it with all vegetables because it will have some special vegetables to make this dish. Cucumber, Ash Gourd and Pumpkin are suitable vegetables to make this traditional dish. Long Beans and Red Cow Peas are the combination with these vegetables and these are helping to increase the taste of this dish. To get the exact taste of this dish vegetables should not overcook so take extra care while cooking it. This is medium thick dish and better to use with plain rice with other side dishes. Coconut Milk is the main reason for its good taste because we are cooking it in Coconut Milk. It is spicy less dish so it is very useful to kids also. I used only traditional and natural ingredients to make this so I can say that this is completely a traditional dish without any doubts. We are using pure and natural Coconut Oil at the last stage and it is completely a healthy dish. It is very easy method of preparation so everyone can make it very easily. I have made different types of Olan in my house because it is really tasty and very good to health. I think that this recipe details will be very helpful to everyone especially those who likes vegetarian traditional dishes.
Preparation Time - 10 minutes
Cooking Time - 15 minutes
Ash Gourd Cubed Pieces - 1/2 cup
Red Cow Peas - 1/2 cup
Long Beans Slices - 1/4 cup
Green Chilli - 4
Thick Coconut Milk - 1/4 cup
Medium Thick Coconut Milk - 1/2 cup
Curry Leaves - 2 Sprigs
Coconut Oil - 1 tab spoon
Salt - To Taste
Water - As Required
- Remove the peel of ash Gourd and wash well and cut it as small cubes pieces.
- Sock red cow peas in water overnight.
- Next day, wash it well and put it in a pressure cooker.
- To this add salt and water as required and cook it well and turn off the fire when water evaporates completely and keep it aside.
- Wash long beans well and cut it lengthy.
- Wash green chilli well and cut into two pieces.
- In a pan, add ash Gourd, long beans slices, green chilli, curry leaves, salt and medium thick coconut milk and cook it well. ( Don't over cooked)
- To this add cooked red cow peas and mix well.
- Boil it well and make it thick and add thick coconut milk and mix well.
- Turn off the fire when it starts to boil and mix well.
- To this pour coconut oil and mix well.
- Transfer it in a serving bowl and serve it with hot rice.