Colocasia is very tasty and healthy vegetable and contains a lot of health benefits. It is also known as Taro Root and it has Fibers and Carbohydrates. Fiber contents help to improve the digestion process and carbohydrates help to gain weight. It is also the source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E and Vitamin B6. We can make a lot of different tasty dishes with this Colocasia and all dishes will be very tasty.
Today I have made a tasty dish which is called as Colocasia masala in Coconut gravy. I made it first time but my mother was preparing this dish so many times in my house. But here I made it little bit different from that. I used roasted ingredients to make masala paste to get good taste. It is natural dish and excellent combination with Rice, Chapati, Appam and hot Rice. This is thick curry and I like to have this dish with hot Rice for lunch. This is spicy, healthy and traditional dish and it will give you fresh and tasty experiences.
Preparation Time - 15 minutes
Cooking Time - 20 minutes
Decoration - Fried Shallots and Curry Leaves
Colocasia Cubed Pieces - 1 cup
Garlic - 3
Green Chilli - 1
Onion - 1
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Black Pepper Powder - 1 teaspoon
Coriander Powder - 2 teaspoon
Grated Coconut - 1 cup
Coconut Milk - 1/2 cup
Fennel Seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
Coconut Oil - 1 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Chopped Shallots - 1 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 2 Sprigs
Salt - To Taste
Water - As Required
- Remove the peel of colocasia and wash it well and cut it as small cubes and keep it aside.
- Remove the peel of garlic and wash well and cut it as small pieces.
- Wash green chilli and cut it into two pieces.
- Remove the peel of onion and wash it well and slice it.
- In a pan, add grated coconut and roast it well until brown colour.
- Then add red chilli powder, black pepper powder and coriander powder and stir well for some times.
- Leave it for some times to cool.
- Add this roasted mixture in a grinder and pour a little water and make it paste.
- In an another pan, add colocasia cubes, garlic, green chilli, sliced onion, turmeric powder, curry leaves, salt and pour water as required.
- Cover the pan with lid and cook it half.
- Then open the pan and add pasted coconut mixture and mix well.
- Cover the pan with lid again and cook it well.
- Then add coconut milk and mix well.
- Add fennel seeds powder and mix well.
- Make it thick and turn off the fire.
- In a small pan, heat coconut oil and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add chopped shallots and curry leaves and fry it.
- Add this into curry and mix well.
- Transfer it in a serving bowl and decorate with fried shallots and curry leaves and serve it with hot rice.
- It will be good if use only roasted coconut.
- You can use cumin seeds powder if you need.
- To get more taste and flavour use cardamom, cloves and cinnamon stick.
- You can cook it in water instead of using coconut milk.