Today, I would like to share one vegetarian dish which is called as Green Peas Potato masala mix. Its main ingredients are Green Peas and Potato and I used dried Green Peas to make this dish. It is very tasty dish and it can serve as the side dish with rice, chapati and appam. Potato and Green Peas are very tasty ingredients so this masala mix also will have a good taste. I used traditional ingredients to make this dish so it has a good traditional flavour and taste. It is medium spicy dish and its main flavours are fennel seeds powder and garam masala powder.
Preparation Time - 15 minutes
Cooking Time - 30 minutes
Decoration - Curry Leaves
Dry Green Peas - 1 cup
Potato - 2
Tomato - 1
Onion - 2
Chopped Ginger - 1/2 teaspoon
Chopped Garlic - 1/2 teaspoon
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Red Chilli Powder - 1 teaspoon
Coriander Powder - 1 1/2 teaspoon
Black Pepper Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Fennel Seeds Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Garam Masala Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Grated Coconut - 1/2 cup
Coconut Oil - teaspoon
Mustard Seed - 1 teaspoon
Chopped Shallots - 1 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs
Salt - To Taste
Water - As Required
- Put dry green peas in a pot and pour water to this and leave it overnight to become soft.
- Next day, wash it well and put it in a pressure cooker.
- Pour water and add salt as required and cover the cooker with lid and cook it well and keep it aside.
- Put grated coconut in a grinder and pour a little water and make it paste.
- Remove the peel of potato and wash well and cut it as cube shaped pieces.
- Wash tomato well and cut it as small pieces.
- Remove the peel of onion and wash well and chop it.
- In a pan, add potato pieces, tomato pieces, chopped onion, chopped ginger, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, black pepper powder, curry leaves, salt and water as required.
- Cover the pan with lid and cook it well.
- Mash it well by using a ladle.
- To this add cooked green peas and mix well.
- Then add coconut paste to this and mix well.
- Cover the pan with lid and cook it under low flame and make it thick.
- Then add fennel seeds powder and garam masala powder and mix well.
- Turn off the fire and keep it aside.
- In a small pan, heat coconut oil and splutter mustard seeds.
- To this add chopped shallots and curry leaves and fry it.
- Add this into cooked curry and mix well.
- Transfer it in a serving bowl and decorate with curry leaves.
- Serve it with rice, bread and appam.
- Potato should be well cooked and mashed to get more thickness and taste.
- To get more taste and smell use roasted dried red chilli and coriander seeds instead of using red chilli powder and coriander seeds powder.
- To get a creamy effect use coconut milk to cook green peas.
- You can use only shallots instead of using onion.
- You can make this dish with fresh green peas also.