Today I made one special Kerala style Beetroot Raita which is also known as Beetroot Pachadi. We can't avoid this dish for our traditional celebration Onam and Vishu and also it is serving as the side dish for both Christian and Hindu wedding celebrations. Pachadi or Raita is very thick dish and it is very tasty. We can make Raita with Raw Mango, Ash Gourd, Bitter Gourd and Tomato. This is sweet-less Raita but it is very good to use with plain hot Rice. Usually I was making Raw Mango Raita at this time but here I made a variety dish and it was my first attempt. I have tasted it earlier from my relative's house but I didn't make it in my home. I like its colour very much because it is looking very attractive. I got this recipe details from my Grandmother so I followed the same method to make it. We can make it within minutes with a few ingredients. It has the mixed taste of Cumin Seeds, Grated Coconut and Mustard Seeds. It is very healthy and natural tasty dish.
Preparation Time - 15 minutes
Cooking Time - 15 minutes
Decoration - Dried red chilli, curry leaves and shallots
Beetroot - 1
Ginger - 1 small piece
Green Chilli - 2
Grated Coconut - 1 cup
Yogurt - 3/4 cup
Mustard Seeds - 3/4 teaspoon
Cumin Seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
Coconut Oil - 1teaspoon
Dried Red Chilli - 3
Chopped Shallots - 1 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs
Salt - To Taste
Water - As Required
- Remove the peel of beetroot and wash it well and cut it as small pieces.
- Put it in a pressure cooker and pour water as required.
- Cover the cooker with lid and cook it well and leave for some times to cool well.
- Put cooked beetroot in a blender and make it fine paste and keep it aside.
- Remove the peel of ginger and wash it well and put it in a grinder.
- To this add washed green chilli, green chilli, grated coconut, 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds, 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds, salt and pour a little water and make it paste.
- In a pan, add beet root paste and stir well.
- To this add coconut paste mixture and stir well for 5 minutes.
- Cover the pan with lid and cook it well under low flame.
- To this add yogurt and mix well.
- Turn off the fire when it heat slightly.
- In a small pan, pour coconut oil and heat it well and splutter remaining mustard seeds.
- To this add chopped shallots, dried red chilli and curry leaves and fry it.
- Add this into cooked beetroot mixture and mix well.
- Transfer it in a serving bowl and decorate with fried curry leaves, shallots and dried red chillies and serve with hot rice.
- To get good pink colour dish select very good pink colour beetroot to make this dish.
- Chopped shallots is optional ingredient when splutter mustard seeds so you can avoid it if you don't have shallots.
- You have to use thick with less sour taste yogurt to make this dish.
- Don't pour too much water to make this dish otherwise we won't get the exact taste of this dish.