I would like to share a very tasty vegetarian dish through this article today. I like to have both vegetarian dishes and non-vegetarian dishes very much but we all will have some favourite or special dishes and Yam stir fry is my favourite dish among them. I have been using Yam dishes since my childhood because it doesn't have creamy effects so it will not overcook while cooking it so it is suitable to make stir fry. We can get a variety and special feelings while we eat Yam dishes because it has a crispy feeling. Yam is a fat less vegetable and everyone can use it without any fear. In Kerala, Yam is cultivating for both income and homely needs. Yam is available in round shape and its inside will have light brown colour. Yam is the special and main vegetable for Onam celebration. I bought Yam from outside to make this stir fry today. It is my own recipe and I used the ingredients which I like but it is really tasty. This is super combination with Rice, Chapati and Dosa but my favourite combination is with Rice. It is little bit spicy dish and has the flavour of Garam masala powder and cumin seeds powder.
Preparation Time - 15 minutes
Cooking Time - 20 minutes
Yam Cubed Pieces - 1 cup
Onion - 2
Ginger Paste - 1/2 teaspoon
Garlic Paste - 1/2 teaspoon
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Black Pepper Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin Seeds Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Garam Masala Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Lime Juice - 1 tab spoon
Coconut Oil - 1 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Chopped Shallots - 1 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs
Salt - To Taste
Water - As Required
- Remove the peel of yam and cut it as cubes and wash it well.
- Put it in a pan and add turmeric powder, salt and pour water as required.
- Cover the pan with lid and cook it but don't overcook it and keep it aside.
- Remove the peel of onion and wash well and chop it.
- In another pan, heat coconut oil and splutter mustard seeds.
- To this add chopped shallots and fry it.
- Then add ginger paste and garlic paste and fry it.
- Then add curry leaves, chopped onion and salt and stir well for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the fire and add red chilli powder and black pepper powder and stir well.
- Then add cooked yam pieces and mix well.
- Pour lime juice to this and stir well for 5 minutes.
- To this add cumin seeds powder and garam masala powder and mix well.
- Turn off the fire and transfer it in a serving bowl.
- Serve it with hot rice, chapati and appam.
- If you are getting allergic problem when remove the peel of yam use coconut oil.
- You can use only shallots instead of using onion.
- Yam should not be overcooked otherwise taste will change.
- It will be tastier if you use coconut pieces.
- You can use fennel seeds powder instead of using cumin seeds powder.
- You can use tomato paste instead of using lime juice.