Yam with Long Beans stir fry is very tasty vegetarian stir fry which is made by the combination of Yam and Long Beans. We are making different dishes with Yam and Long Beans but this combination is little bit different from others. Yam and Long Beans are my favourite vegetables and I used these vegetables to make different dishes. This two combination is very health and very tasty and it is an excellent combination with hot plain Rice for lunch. Keralites need some stir fry dishes for their lunch so this dish will be very useful to them. These two vegetables contains a lot of health benefits so we can get double benefits in one dish. It is little bit spicy dishy but also very useful to children and you can adjust the quantity of Red Chilli powder based on your taste. This dish is looking attractive and its main flavour is Cumin seeds flavour. To get a variety taste I used Coriander Powder here and it has the mixed spice of Red Chilli powder and Black Pepper Powder. It is completely natural, healthy and traditional dish.
Preparation Time - 10 minutes
Cooking Time - 25 minutes
Yam Pieces - 1/2 cup
Long Beans Pieces - 1/4 cup
Coconut Pieces - 1/4 cup
Onion - 2
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Black Pepper Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Coriander Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin Seeds Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Coconut Oil - 1tab spoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Chopped Shallots - 1 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs
Salt - To Taste
Water - As Required
- Remove the peel of yam and wash it well and cut it as thin and 1 inch length and keep it aside.
- Wash long beans and cut it as 1 inch length and keep it aside.
- Cut coconut thin and small piece and keep it aside.
- Remove the peel of onion and wash it well and slice it.
- Heat a pan and pour coconut oil to this and splutter mustard seeds when it heats well.
- Then add chopped shallots to this and stir well for some times.
- Add curry leaves, sliced onion and salt and stir well for some times.
- Then add coconuts pieces and stir well for 2 minutes.
- Then add yam pieces and long beans pieces and stir well for 2 minutes.
- To this add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, black pepper powder and coriander powder and mix well.
- Pour water as required and cover the pan with lid.
- Cook it well under low flame (don't over cooked).
- Then add cumin seeds powder and mix well.
- Turn off the fire and transfer it in a serving bowl and serve it with hot rice.
- Try to pour Water as required to cook and don't overcook it.
- Stir occasionally while cooking it and add water if required.
- You can use either Garam masala powder or Fennel seeds powder instead of using Cumin Seeds powder.
- It will be tasty if you use Green Chilli.
- Coriander Powder is not mandatory so use if you need it.