I would like to share another traditional Kerala style traditional recipe details through this article that is called as 'Aviyal'. It is usually served as the side dish with plain hot Rice for lunch. It is very tasty vegetarian dish which is prepared by mixing of different tasty vegetables. Aviayl is only one dish which is mixing a lot vegetables and it is very thick dish like stir fries. Its method of preparation and taste is very different from other dishes. This is the main side dish for the traditional Kerala festivals such as Onam and Vishu. But now a day it became a special side dish for Christian wedding celebrations. It is spicy-less dish and it has variety and pleasant smell. Its main tastes are Coconut, cumin Seeds and Garlic. Its main vegetables ingredients are Yam, Raw Banana, Drumstick, Potato and carrot. I used to make this dish in my house because we all like this very much. We can make it with any vegetable but Drumstick, Yam and Raw Banana are the common ingredients. We can't use Beetroot to make this dish because its yellow colour will change if we use it and taste also will change. I used yogurt to get little sour taste so it is giving thick and creamy effect. It is very healthy and natural traditional dish.
Preparation Time - 20 minutes
Cooking Time - 25 minutes
Yam Pieces - 1/2 cup
Banana - 2
Long Beans - 5
French Beans - 3
Colocasia Small - 1Potato - 1
Drumstick - 3
Cucumber Pieces - 1/4 cup
Carrot - 1
Green Chilli - 4
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Grated Coconut - 1 Cup
Garlic - 2
Cumin Seeds - 3/4 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 2 Sprigs
Yogurt - 1/4 cup
Coconut Oil - 1 teaspoon
Salt - To Taste
Water - As Required
- Remove the peel of Yam, Colocasia and Potato and wash it well.
- Then cut it thin and 1 inch length and keep it aside.
- Remove the peel of raw Banana and Cucumber and wash it well and cut it as thin and 1 inch length and keep it aside.
- Wash Long Beans, Drumstick and carrot well and cut it thin and length wise.
- Wash green chilli and cut into two pieces.
- In a grinder, add turmeric powder, grated coconut, garlic, cumin seeds, curry leaves, salt and pour a little water and crush it together.
- In a pan, put all vegetable pieces, green chilli, salt and pour water as required.
- Cover the pan with lid and cook it well.
- Then open the pan and add crushed coconut mixture.
- Cover the pan with lid again and cook this mixture in steam for some times.
- Then open the pan and mix it well and add yogurt to this and mix well.
- Turn off the fire and pour coconut oil to this and mix well.
- Transfer it in a serving bowl and serve it with hot rice.
- You can use raw mango pieces instead of using yogurt
- Don't use vegetables which contain more water content.
- Its taste will increase if we use bird's eye chilli instead of using green chilli.
- You have to use only coconut oil to make this dish otherwise its taste will change.