Traditional Yam curry is a tasty dish which is made by Yam Cubes. This is my Grandmother's special dish and Yam dishes were her favourite dishes. So she was making different tasty dishes by using this natural Yam and every dish was really tasty. Traditional Yam curry is one of the special dish among them. She was cultivating Yam in her home so she could make tasty dishes with this. You can make different curries and snacks by using this. I tasted Yam curry first from my Grandmother so I am really happy to share her recipe to everyone.
This is completely a traditional dish and I would like to have traditional dishes very much. You can serve this curry as the side dish with Rice, Chapati, Appam and Bread as per your choice. I am using it as the side dish with hot plain Rice for lunch. This dish is having great attractive Yellow colour because of Turmeric Powder. This is medium spicy dish and also it has a little sour taste of Tamarind Paste. This recipe is known by old people and we can make it very easily by following this method. Its taste is increased because of Tamarind Paste. Make this tasty dish to get good and traditional taste.
Preparation Time - 15 Minutes
Cooking Time - 25 Minutes
Decoration - Fried Red Chilli and Curry Leaves
Yam Cubed Pieces - 2 Cups
Onion - 1
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Red Chilli Powder - 1 teaspoon
Coriander Powder - 2 teaspoon
Black Pepper Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Grated Coconut - 1 Cup
Tamarind Pulp - 2 teaspoon
Coconut Oil - 1 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Chopped Shallots - 1 teaspoon
Dried Red Chilli - 3
Curry Leaves - 2 Sprigs
Salt - To Taste
Water - As required to cooking.
- Remove the peel of Yam and wash it well and cut it as small cubes and keep it aside in a bowl.
- Remove the peel of Onion and wash well and slice it thin.
- Put Tamarind in grinder and pour a little Water and make fine paste and keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker, add Yam Cubes, Turmeric Powder, Red Chilli Powder, Coriander Powder, Black Pepper Powder, Salt and pour enough Water to cooking.
- Cover it with lid and cook it well and keep it aside.
- In a grinder, add sliced Onion, Grated Coconut and pour Water as required and make it thick and fine paste.
- Add this paste into cooked Yam and mix well.
- To this add Tamarind Pulp and mix well.
- Turn down the fire and boil this paste well and make it thick as desired.
- Heat Coconut Oil in a small pan and splutter Mustard Seeds.
- To this add Chopped Shallots and fry it.
- Then add dried Red Chilli and fry it.
- Then add Curry Leaves and stir well.
- Add this mixture into cooked Yam curry and mix well.
- Transfer it in a serving bowl and garnish with fried Red Chilli and Curry Leaves and serve it with hot plain Rice.
- It will be tastier if you use only Shallots instead of using Onion.
- You can paste Green Chilli when make Coconut Paste.
- Tamarind is an optional ingredient. You can use it if you need a little sour taste. It will be tasty if you don't use it.
- To get good taste mash Yam Cubes well after cooking.