Fried Tea Cake is also known as Vettu Cake which is very famous and popular snack in Kerala. This is Kerala style evening snack that is made by Plain Flour. This is available in each and every small shop, Bakeries and cool bars. This is very tasty and sweet snack and now everyone is making at home very easily. We can make it at any shapes which you like here I made it in triangle shape. This snack is my favourite snack and everyone in my family like this very much. I have made it in my house so many times because of its taste. When I was child we were buying it from outside and we didn't know about its method of preparation. I learned it a few years ago and I used to make it when I feel to eat this snack. Coconut Oil is using to fry it but oil will not be there on it after frying that is the main specialty of this snack. Its main flavour and smell are Cardamom Powder and it is an excellent combination with hot Tea. It also has the mixed taste of Milk and Egg. We can store it for long days after making it. This is completely natural and homemade snack without any preservatives.
Preparation Time - 15 Minutes
Cooking Time - 20 Minutes
Plain Flour - 2 Cup
Powdered Sugar - 3/4 Cup
Egg - 3
Milk - As required.
Ghee - 1 tab spoon
Cardamom Powder - 1 teaspoon
Backing Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Coconut Oil - As required to frying.
Salt - 1/4 teaspoon
- Strain Plain Flour through strainer and put it in a big pot.
- To this add powdered sugar and mix well.
- Add Eggs, Ghee, Cardamom Powder, Backing Powder and Salt and mix well by using hands.
- To this add Milk little by little and mix well and make dough like Chapati Dough.
- Cover the pot with lid and leave it for 2 hours to get softness.
- Open the pot after 2 hours and divide dough into two portions.
- Put it in a soft flour and shape it lengthy and cut two sides by using a Knife.
- Then cut it as triangle shape pieces and make slit on middle and keep it aside.
- In a pan, pour coconut oil as required and heat it well.
- Put this pieces one by one in this heated coconut oil.
- Cook it first with high flame and turn down the fire to cook inside well.
- Remove it from coconut Oil when it became brown colour and fried as desired.
- Put it in a serving bowl and serve it as the evening snacks with hot Tea.
- You can use both Plain Flour and All Purpose Flour to make this fried tea cake.
- You can change the quantity of powdered sugar based on your taste.
- You can use Backing Soda instead of using Backing powder or you can mix this together.
- Its taste and smell will increase if you use Ghee to fry this cake.
- To get more crispness add 1/4 cup Semolina Powder and mix it with Plain Flour.
- If you need Yellow colour rice cake use yellow food colour.