Bitter Gourd is very tasty and healthy vegetable which has Bitter taste. Its bitter taste will change the based on the Bitter Gourd. Dark Green Colour Bitter Gourd will have too much bitter taste and light Green Bitter Gourd will have less bitter taste. Bitter Gourd dishes the favourite item for Keralites. Everyone is making different variety and tasty dishes by using this vegetable. Bitter Gourd stir fry is one of the tasty and main dish of Bitter Gourd. This is very much popular and famous dish. I am going to share the method of preparation of this stir fry through this article. In Kerala, it is also known as 'Pavakka Thoran'. This is completely a traditional Kerala style stir fry. We can make this stir fry by using different ingredients and method. You make it by adding Turmeric Powder and Masala powders, but here I made White colour dish which is very easy comparing other method. Usually we are making Bitter Gourd stir fry by following this method because I like its taste very much. We need not to add so many ingredients to make this but taste is very good. This is very healthy dish and I used Bird's Eye Chilli as the spice for this dish. It is super combination with hot plain Rice for lunch. Its bitter taste will reduce if we use it with hot Rice. I like medium bitter tasted stir fry so I used light Green colour Bitter Gourd to make this dish. Bitter Gourd is considering as the medicine for some diseases, so we can use it on daily basis by this way. It is very suitable for diabetic patients because it has the capacity of reducing sugar from human body. It also contains Iron content so we have to give children to get good health. Bitter Gourd stir fry and Sambar are the super combination with Rice and I like it very much. You can also try this combination to get new taste.
Preparation Time - 10 Minutes
Cooking Time - 15 Minutes
Large Bitter Gourd - 1
Onion - 2
Bird's Eye Chilli - 15
Grated Coconut - 1 Cup
Curry Leaves - 2 Sprigs
Coconut Oil - 1 teaspoon
Salt - To Taste
Water - As required to cooking.
- Wash Bitter Gourd well and remove the seeds from inside and chop it well.
- Remove the peel of Onion and wash it well and chop it.
- Wash Bird's Eye chilli and cut it as small pieces.
- In a pan, add this chopped Bitter Gourd, chopped Onion, Bird's Eye Chilli pieces, grated Coconut, curry leaves and salt and mix it well by using hands.
- Pour water as required and mix well.
- Cover the pan with lid and cook it well under low flame and stir occasionally.
- Then add coconut oil and mix well.
- Transfer it in a serving bowl and serve it with hot plain rice.
- To get exact taste of Bitter Gourd stir fry pour water as required to cook.
- We have to cook it only under low flame to cook to get the real taste.
- You can use Green Chilli instead of using Bird's Eye Chilli.
- You can use only Shallots to get more taste instead of using Onion.
- To get more taste you can splutter mustard seeds.