I have made a lot of variety tasty dishes with Colocasia by using different methods. If you follow only one method you can get it only one taste. But I don't like to have the foods with same taste so I am spending time to make variety dishes by changing both ingredients and methods. Simple and Tasty Colocasia curry is also my new and tasty dish. This dish is spicy-less dish so it is very useful to use children. Colocasia is very natural homemade vegetable which is also available in outside. This mostly used by South Indians because they are cultivating it for both income and homely requirements. I used natural Colocasia which was there in my home to make this dish. It is very thick dish with creamy effect. You can make it very easily with limited ingredients and time. It has completely traditional taste because I used traditional ingredients such as Coconut Oil and Grated Coconut. Its main flavours are Cumin Seeds and Garlic.
Preparation Time - 20 Minutes
Cooking Time - 30 Minutes
Decoration - Fried Green Chilli, Shallots and Curry Leaves
Colocasia - 250 gm
Onion - 1
Garlic - 2
Green Chilli - 3
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Black Pepper Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Coriander Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Grated Coconut - 1/2 Cup
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Coconut Oil - 1 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Chopped Shallots - 1 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 2 Sprigs
Salt - To Taste
Water - As Required
- Remove the peel of Colocasia and cut it as small cubes and wash it well and keep it aside.
- Remove the peel of Onion and wash it well and cut it as small pieces.
- Remove the peel of Garlic and wash well and cut it as small pieces.
- Wash Green Chilli well and cut it into two lengthy pieces.
- In a grinder, put Grated Coconut, Cumin Seeds, Sliced Onion, Garlic pieces, Turmeric Powder, Black Pepper Powder, Coriander Powder, Curry Leaves and Salt and Water as required and make it thick paste.
- In a pan, put Colocasia pieces, Salt and Water as required.
- Cover the pan with lid and cook it half.
- Then open the pan and add Coconut and Masala paste and mix well.
- Cover the pan with lid again and cook it well and make it thick as desired and turn off the fire and keep it aside.
- Heat a small pan and pour Coconut Oil and heat it well.
- Then splutter Mustard seeds when it heats well.
- To this add chopped Shallots and Green Chilli pieces and fry it well.
- To this add Curry leaves and saute it well.
- Turn off the fire and pour it in cooked curry and mix well.
- Decorate it with fried Shallots, Green Chilli and Curry Leaves and serve it with Plain Rice.
- It will be tastier if the Colocasia is well cooked and mashed.
- If you want more Coriander taste increase the quantity of Coriander Powder.
- Cumin Seed is an optional ingredient so you can avoid it if you don't like its flavour.
- You can use Red Chilli Powder instead of using Black Pepper Powder.