Sardine Fish is one famous fish on the market that will be available with low price comparing other fish items. Its taste is really good and also it can use on daily basis. In my house we are making different dishes by using this fish. Today I made very tasty Sardine Fish curry which is made in Coconut Gravy. This is my father's favourite dish and it is served with Rice and Mashed Tapioca. This is spicy dish and I used White Bird's Eye Chilli and Red Chilli Powder to get spiciness. It has the mixed taste of Sour, Spice and Coconut taste.
Cooking Time - 25 Minutes
Sardine Fish - 1 kg
Onion - 1
Shallots - 5
White Bird's Eye Chilli - 10
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Red Chilli Powder - 1 teaspoon
Coriander Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Gambooge - 4 Pieces
Grated Coconut - 1 Cup
Coconut Milk - 1/2 Cup
Coconut Oil - 2 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 2 Sprigs
Salt - To Taste
Water - As required to cooking.
- Clean Sardine Fish well and remove both head and tail and wash well and cut into two pieces and make slits on both sides and put it in a pot.
- Remove the peel of Onion and wash well and slice it thin.
- Remove the peel of Shallots and wash well and cut it as small pieces.
- Wash Gambooge well and keep it aside.
- In a grinder, add Grated Coconut, Chopped Shallots, some Curry Leaves, Salt and enough Water and make it thick and fine paste and keep it aside.
- Heat a pan and pour Coconut Oil and heat it well.
- To this add sliced Onion and saute it well until Brown colour.
- To this add White Bird's Eye Chilli and saute it well.
- Add Curry Leaves to this and stir well.
- Then add Grated Coconut paste to this and saute it well for 2 minutes to remove raw taste.
- Turn down the fire and add Turmeric Powder, Red Chilli Powder, Coriander Powder and Salt and saute it well for 5 minutes.
- Pour Water as required to this and add Gambooge pieces to this and boil it well.
- To this add Sardine Fish pieces and mix well.
- Cook and boil it well for 5 minutes under high flame.
- Turn down the fire medium and cook it and boil well for 15 minutes and make it thick as desired.
- Pour Coconut Milk to this and turn off the fire when it starts to boil.
- Transfer it in a serving bowl and serve it with hot Rice and Chapati.
- To increase the taste and smell fry Fenugreek Seeds in Coconut Oil.
- To get sour taste use Tamarind Pulp instead of using Gambooge pieces.
- You can add Red Chilli Powder and Coriander Powder when make Coconut Paste if you need.
- Coriander Powder is optional ingredient use it if need thickness.
- Green Chilli also can use instead of using White Bird's Eye Chilli.
- To remove the bad smell of fish wash it with Vinegar or Lime Juice and it gives good colour to fish.
- Need not to cut Fish into two pieces if use small Sardine Fish.