'Banana Flower' this name may be new to so many people especially Keralites but everyone knows about this name 'Vaazha Koombu'. It will be available in almost all houses in Kerala and it is there in so many super markets also. It is very suitable to make different tasty dishes with this Banana Flower. All parts of Banana plant is very useful and these are very good to human health. Banana Flower Coconut stir fry is one of the tasty stir fry and it doesn't contain any poison because I used natural Banana Flower that is from my home. We can make this stir fry limited ingredients and limited time. I have been using this stir fry since my child hood because my mother and Grandmother were preparing this dish. Usually we are using it as the side dish with hot plain Rice for both lunch and dinner. Banana Flower is looking very attractive with so many layers and Honey will be there in the first layer. It contains fibers so it reduces cholesterol and Sugar. This dish is completely natural and traditional dish and its main taste is Coconut.
Cooking Time - 30 Minutes
Banana Flower (Vaazha Koombu) - 1
Green Chilli - 2
Onion - 2
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Grated Coconut - 1 Cup
Kerala Red Rice - 1 teaspoon
Coconut Oil - 2 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 2 Sprigs
Salt - To Taste
Water - As required to cooking.
- Chop Banana Flower and sock it in Water for sometimes.
- To this add A little Coconut Oil and Salt and rub it well with hands and remove Water from it and keep it aside in a bowl.
- Wash Green Chill well and chop it.
- Remove the peel of Onion and wash well and chop it.
- In a Grinder, put Grated Coconut, chopped Green Chilli, chopped Onion, Turmeric Powder, Red Chilli Powder, some Curry Leaves and Salt and crush these ingredients together and keep it aside.
- Heat a pan and heat Coconut Oil in it and splutter Mustard Seeds.
- To this add Kerala Red Rice and fry it.
- Then add some Curry Leaves to this and saute it well.
- To this add Crushed Grated Coconut mixture and saute it well for 3 minutes to remove raw taste.
- To this add chopped Banana Flower and saute it well for 5 minutes.
- Pour enough Water to cook it and add Salt and mix well.
- Cover the pan with lid and cook it well under medium flame and stir it occasionally.
- Turn off the fire when Water evaporates completely and mix well.
- Put it in a serving bowl and serve it with hot plain Rice.
- Its taste will increase if use only Shallots instead of using Onion.
- to get good another flavours add Garlic and Cumin Seeds when crush Grated Coconut mixture in a grinder.
- You can fry dried Red Chilli in the Coconut Oil to get better taste.
- You can use both fried Kerala Red Rice and Raw Rice.
- To remove the stain of Banana Flower wash with Coconut Oil.