'Erissery' is the favourite traditional dish for South Indians. Mainly they are using it for their traditional celebrations such as Onam and Vishu. Today I made a special and variety Erissery and it is own dish which is made by the ingredients which I like. Its main ingredients are Coconut Sprout, Red Cow Peas and Pumpkin. Coconut Sprout increases the taste of this dish double. Its main specialty is that we are using fried Grated Coconut to make this dish. Usually I was making Erisserry in Onam but I got Coconut Sprout so I tried it today and I got a good and variety taste. It is spicy-less dish and its main taste is Cumin Seeds. This is an excellent combination with hot Rice for lunch.
Cooking Time - 30 Minutes
Decoration - Coconut Sprout, Fried Red Chilli and Curry Leaves
Chopped Coconut Sprout - 1 Cup
Yellow Pumpkin Cubes - 1 Cup
Red Cow Peas - 1/2 Cup
Green Chilli - 3
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Black Pepper Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Grated Coconut - 3/4 Cup
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Coconut Oil - 1 tab spoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Dried Red Chilli - 3
Curry Leaves - 2 Sprigs
Salt - To Taste
Water - As required to cook.
- Sock Red Cow peas in water overnight to become soft.
- Wash it well next day and keep it aside in a bowl.
- Remove the peel and seeds of Yellow Pumpkin and wash it well and cut it as small pieces
- Wash Green Chilli and cut it as small pieces.
- In a grinder, add 1/2 cup Grated Coconut, Cumin Seeds, chopped Green Chilli, Black Pepper Powder, Salt and Water as required to make paste and make it thick and fine paste and keep it aside in a bowl.
- In a pressure cooker, put washed Red Cow Peas, Turmeric Powder, Salt and pour Water as required to cooking.
- Cover the pressure cooker with lid and cook it well but don't overcook it.
- In a pan, put Yellow Pumpkin cubes, chopped Coconut Sprout, Turmeric Powder, Red Chilli Powder, Salt and pour Water as required to cooking and cook it well.
- Mash it well by using a wooden ladle.
- To this add Coconut Paste and mix well.
- Turn down the fire and cover the pan with lid and cook it well for sometimes.
- To this add cooked Red Cow Peas and stir well for 2 minutes and turn off the fire.
- In a small pan, heat Coconut Oil and splutter Mustard seeds.
- Then add dried Red Chilli and Curry Leaves and fry it.
- To this add 1/4 cup Grated Coconut and stir well until Brown colour.
- Add this into cooked curry and mix well.
- Transfer it in a serving bowl and decorate with fried dried Red Chilli, Curry Leaves and fresh Coconut Sprout and see with hot plain Rice.
- Red Chilli powder is an optional ingredient so you can use it if you need. Otherwise use either Green Chilli or Black Pepper Powder to get spicy.
- You will get Red Colour Dish if you use Red Chilli Powder otherwise its colour will be Yellow.
- We need not roast Grated Coconut until Brown colour.
|Coconut Sprout Pumpkin Erissery|