Ivy Gourd is also known as Little Gourd which is one of the favourite vegetable for everyone especially Keralites. We are using this to make different dishes such as Sambar and Avial. Ivy Gourd is used in all countries and this will be available in all supermarkets. Here, I made a traditional dish that is called Ivy Gourd stir fry with Coconut. This is completely a traditional Kerala style dish and it is very tasty. This is Yellow colour dish and its main ingredient is Grated Coconut. Usually we are making stir fry with Coconut but we can make stir fry without coconut also but coconut will give special taste and smell. Sometime we will get this dish in hotels as the side dish with plain Rice for lunch. Ivy Gourd contains a lot of health benefits especially for diabetic patients and they can use it on daily basis. We can cultivate this vegetable in houses very easily. Here I used natural Ivy Gourd which is there in my home so I can say that this completely healthy dish without any doubts. This is spicy less stir fry so everyone can use it including kids. It is better combination with hot plain rice for lunch. It is very simple and easy and tasty recipe.
Preparation Time - 15 Minutes
Cooking Time - 20 Minutes
Ivy Gourd (Kovakka) - 250 gm
Chopped Garlic - 1 teaspoon
Green Chilli - 5
Shallots - 5
Onion - 1
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Grated Coconut - 1/2 Cup
Coconut Oil - 1 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 2 Sprigs
Salt - To Taste
Water - As Required
- Wash Ivy Gourd well and cut it as small pieces and keep it aside.
- Wash Green Chilli and cut it as small pieces.
- Remove the peels of Shallots and Onion and wash well and cut it as small pieces.
- In a grinder, add Grated Coconut, Turmeric Powder, chopped Shallots, chopped Onion, chopped Garlic and chopped Green Chilli and crush it well and keep it aside.
- Heat a pan and pour Coconut Oil and heat it well and splutter Mustard Seeds.
- Then add Curry Leaves to this and saute it well.
- Then add Crushed Coconut mixture and saute it well for 2 minutes to reduce the raw smell and taste.
- Then add chopped Ivy Gourd to this and add Salt as desired and add a little Water and mix well.
- Cover the pan with lid and cook it well under medium flame and stir occasionally.
- Turn off the fire when Water evaporates completely and mix well.
- Put it in a serving bowl and serve it with hot plain Rice.
- To get more taste add some Cumin Seeds to this dish.
- It will be tastier if you fry Shallots in Coconut Oil.
- You can use Red Chilli Powder with Green Chilli.
- To get the exact taste of this dish don't pour too much water to cook it.
- Its taste will increase based on the quantity of Onion and Shallots.