In this article, I would like to share another tasty Fish Curry which is called as Malabar Fish Curry. You can identify that it is Malabar style fish dish from this name. This is very tasty and traditional fish curry. Every place will have their own style that will be different and tasty from other dishes. Malabar Fish curry will be available in some restaurants and it is highly demanded item because of its taste. This dish is very thick because of Coconut paste and it is spicy dish. Here, I used Mackerel Fish which is available in everywhere. Tomato is an excellent combination with any types of fish. You can make it with limited ingredients and I like it very much. Usually it is serving with hot plain Rice, Mashed Tapioca and Chapati.
Preparation Time - 20 Minutes
Cooking Time - 25 Minutes
Mackerel Fish (Ayala Fish) - 500 gm
Onion - 1
Shallots - 3
Green Chilli - 3
Chopped Garlic - 1 teaspoon
Chopped Ginger - 1 teaspoon
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Red Chilli Powder - 1 teaspoon
Coriander Powder - 1 teaspoon
Grated Coconut - 3/4 Cup
Tomato - 1
Tamarind Pulp - 2 teaspoon
Coconut Oil - 2 teaspoon
Fenugreek Seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 2 Sprigs
Salt - To Taste
Water - As required to cooking.
- Clean Mackerel Fish well and remove both head and tail and wash it well with Water.
- Cut each Fish into two pieces and make slits on both sides and keep it aside in a bowl.
- Remove the peels of Onion and Shallots and wash well and slice it thin and lengthy.
- Wash Green Chilli well and cut it lengthy.
- Wash Tomato well and slice it thin.
- Put Tamarind Pulp in a grinder and pour a little Water and make it thick and fine paste and keep it aside in a bowl.
- In a grinder, add Grated Coconut, chopped Shallots, Turmeric Powder, Red Chilli Powder, Coriander Powder, some Curry Leaves and a little Water and make it thick and fine paste and keep it aside.
- Heat Coconut Oil in a pan and add Fenugreek Seeds and fry it.
- To this add Chopped Ginger and chopped Garlic and saute it well.
- Then add Curry Leaves and stir well.
- To this add Green Chilli pieces, sliced Onion and chopped Tomato and Salt and saute it well for 3 minutes.
- Then add Coconut Paste to this and saute it well for 2 minutes.
- Pour enough Water to this and add Tamarind Pulp paste and mix well and boil well.
- To this add Mackerel Fish pieces and add enough Salt to taste and mix well.
- Cover the pan with lid and cook it for 5 minutes under high flame.
- Turn down the fire and cook it well for 15 minutes and make it thick as you like.
- Turn off the fire and transfer it in a serving bowl and serve it with Chapati, Mashed Tapioca and hot plain Rice.
- You can make it with any type of Fish as you like.
- You can make this dish without cutting Fish.
- Gambooge also can use to make this instead of using Tamarind Pulp.
- You can splutter Mustard Seeds in Coconut Oil if you need.
- To get the exact taste of fish curry you have to cook it under medium flame. It will overcook and taste will reduce if cook it under high flame.