We all know about Sambar because it is that much popular and traditional dish which can made by different method. Usually we are making Sambar with mixing different vegetables and Lentils. Today, I made very easy Sambar and its main ingredients are Potato and Tomato. Its taste is really good and Split Green Gram gives good taste to this. Potato and Split Green Gram have creamy effect so these are excellent combination to make Sambar. Sambar is mostly used by South Indians with the side dish with Idly, Dosa and Rice. Here I am showing how to make very tasty Sambar with limited ingredients. It is little bit spicy and also has sour taste and I would like to have this with hot plain rice. You can use it with anything as you prefer. Potato Sambar is mother's dish and she was making long years ago and it is my favourite vegetarian dish. This is very tasty dish by following the traditional method.
Preparation Time - 15 Minutes
Cooking Time - 30 Minutes
Decoration - Fried Shallots and Curry Leaves
Potato - 3
Tomato - 2
Split Green Gram - 1 Cup
Onion - 1
Green Chilli - 2
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Red Chilli Powder - 1 teaspoon
Coriander Powder - 2 teaspoon
Fenugreek Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Tamarind Pulp - 1/2 teaspoon
Asafoetida Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Coconut Oil - 1 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Chopped Shallots - 1 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 2 Sprigs
Salt - To Taste
Water - As required to cook.
- Remove the peel of Potato and wash it well and cut it as small cubes and keep it aside.
- Wash Tomato well and cut it as small pieces.
- Remove the peel of Onion and wash it well and slice it lengthy.
- Wash Green Chilli and cut it into two pieces.
- Put Green Gram, Potato Pieces, Tomato Pieces, Sliced Onion, Green Chilli Pieces, Salt and Water as required cooking.
- Cover the Pressure Cooker with lid and cook it well.
- To this add Turmeric Powder, Red Chilli Powder, Coriander Powder and Tamarind Pulp and mix well.
- Pour a little Water to this and boil it well under medium flame until remove the raw taste of masala and make it thick and keep it aside.
- Heat a small pan and heat Coconut Oil and splutter Mustard seeds.
- To this add chopped Shallots and fry it.
- Then add Curry Leaves to this and stir well.
- Then add Fenugreek Powder and Asafoetida Powder and saute it well.
- Add this into cooked Potato mixture and mix well.
- Transfer it in a serving bowl and decorate it with fried Shallots and Curry Leaves and serve it with Dosa, Idly and Plain Rice.
- You can make Potato Sambar with either Red Lentil or Red Gram instead of using Split Green Gram.
- We need not to mash Potato after cooking.
- To get good taste and thickness you can add Grated Coconut Paste.
- You need not to add Tamarind Paste if Tomato has good sour taste and you can adjust sour taste based on your preference.