'Kalan' is a traditional Kerala style dish that is made by mixing Yogurt. Here, I made this dish with Raw Banana and Yogurt so I give this name. You make same dish by using Yam also. Keralites know this dish very much because they can't avoid it for their traditional celebrations. If you need sweet Kalan use Ripe Banana and Ripe Mango to make this tasty dish. I tasted this dish 6 years ago I knew only its name before. I had it from one restaurant for the Onam celebration and I liked its taste very much. I like Yogurt dishes very much because it will have a good taste whatever makes it with Yogurt. So we are making Kalan in my home after that and Yogurt helps to increase its taste. It is very easy to make and it is super combination with hot plain Rice for lunch. Grated Coconut Paste gives thickness and natural traditional taste to this dish. It is also a spicy-less dish so it can be useful for children. This is very healthy and tasty traditional dish.
Preparation Time - 15 Minutes
Cooking Time - 30 Minutes
Decoration - Fried Shallots and Curry Leaves
Raw Banana - 250 gm
Green Chilli - 3
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Black Pepper Powder - 1 teaspoon
Cumin Seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
Grated Coconut - 1 Cup
Yogurt - 1/2 Cup
Ghee - 1 teaspoon
Fenugreek Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Coconut Oil - 1 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Chopped Shallots - 1 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 2 Sprigs
Salt - To Taste
Water - As required to cooking.
- Remove the peel of Raw Banana and wash well and cut it as cubes and keep it aside in a bowl.
- Wash Green Chilli and chop it.
- In a grinder, add Grated Coconut, chopped Green Chilli, Black Pepper Powder and Cumin Seeds and pour a little Water and make it thick and fine paste and keep it aside.
- In a pan, Raw Banana Pieces, Turmeric Powder, Salt and pour Water as required to cooking and mix well.
- Cover the pan with lid and cook it well under medium flame.
- To this add Ghee and mix well.
- Then add Coconut paste and mix well.
- Cover the pan with lid again and cook it under low flame.
- Then add Yogurt to this and stir well until thick as desired.
- Turn off the fire and keep it aside.
- In a small pan, heat Coconut Oil and splutter Mustard Seeds.
- Then add chopped Shallots and fry it.
- To this add Curry Leaves and saute it well.
- Turn off the fire and add this into cooked Banana and mix well.
- Transfer it in a serving bowl and decorate with fried Shallots and Curry Leaves and serve with hot plain Rice.
- Black Pepper Powder is optional ingredient so you can avoid it if you don't want and you can add more Green Chilli instead of Black Pepper Powder.
- To get better taste add fried 2 or 3 dried Red Chilli.
- To get thickness and correct taste use only thick Yogurt without Water.