Colocasia dishes are very healthy dishes and tasty and usually it will be available in houses. Now a day we can get it from small shops and super markets and price will change based on season. Colocasia dishes are using so many countries especially in Gulf Countries. In this article, I would like to share the recipe of variety South Indian style Colocasia Masala fry. It is medium spicy dish and I used the ingredients which I like. It has the taste and smell of masala and its taste is similar to non-vegetarian dishes. It has the traditional taste and very easy to make at home.
Cooking Time - 30 Minutes
Colocasia (Taro Root) - 250 gm
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Red Chilli Powder - 1 teaspoon
Coriander Powder - 2 teaspoon
Fennel Seeds Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Garam Masala Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Fenugreek Powder - 1 Pinch
Coconut Milk - 1/2 Cup
Curry Leaves - 1/4 Cup
Coconut Oil - 3 tab spoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Chopped Shallots - 1 teaspoon
Salt - To Taste
Water - As Required
- Remove the peel of Colocasia (Taro Root) and wash it well and cut it as thin and big pieces and keep it aside.
- Remove the peel of Onion and wash it well and slice it thin and lengthy.
- Heat a pan and pour 1 tab spoon Coconut Oil and heat it well.
- To this add sliced Onion (1 Onion) and saute it well and fry it.
- Then add Curry Leaves to this and fry it.
- Put these fried Onion and Curry Leaves in a grinder and pour a little Water and make it fine paste and keep it aside.
- In a bowl, put 1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder, salt and Pour a little Water and make it paste.
- Mix Colocasia pieces with this masala paste and keep it aside.
- In a pan, pour 1 tab spoon Coconut Oil and put these colocasia pieces one by one and fry(shallow Fry) both sides and keep it aside.
- Pour remaining Coconut Oil in the same pan and splutter Mustard Seeds when it heats well.
- To this add chopped Shallots and Curry Leaves and fry it.
- To this add remaining sliced Onion to this and saute it well.
- Then add Turmeric Powder, 1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder and 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder and saute well.
- Add salt to taste and mix well.
- Pour Coconut Milk to this and mix well.
- To this add fried Colocasia pieces and mix well.
- Cover the pan with lid and cook it well under low flame and make it thick as desired.
- Then add Fennel Seeds Powder and Garam Masala powder and mix well.
- Turn off the flame and put it in a serving bowl and serve it with Chapati, Appam and Plain Hot Rice.
- It will be better if add Black Pepper Powder when make masala for this.
- You can use only Shallots instead of using Onion.
- You can use Water instead of using Coconut Milk.
- To get variety taste use Cumin Seeds Powder instead of using Fennel seeds Powder.