This is very famous and popular dish in Kerala and mainly it is serving as the main or first dish in the Traditional Onam celebration. This is very tasty and they are serving it with hot Rice and Ghee. This is super combination and Keralites know about this very well. Split Yellow Gram is very healthy and protein rich item and it is mainly used by North Indians. We can get different types of dishes with Split Yellow Gram in both hotels and houses. It is also super combination with Chapati and I am using this combination sometimes. This dish has Yellow colour and it is spicy-less dish so everyone can use it. This will be very useful to vegetarians to get proteins. This is completely traditional dish and it can make very easily with limited ingredients. It has the flavour of Cumin Seeds and creamy effect.
Preparation Time - 15 Minutes
Cooking Time - 25 Minutes
Decoration - Fried Shallots and Curry Leaves.
Split Yellow Gram - 1/2 Cup
Green Chilli - 2
Chopped Shallots - 3 teaspoon
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Grated Coconut - 1/2 Cup
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Ghee - 1 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 2 Sprigs
Salt - To Taste
Water - As required to cooking.
- Put Split Yellow Gram in a pan and roast it well for 3 minutes.
- Wash it well with Water and put it in a Pressure Cooker.
- Pour enough Water to this and Salt and cover with lid and cook it well under medium flame.
- Mash it well by using a wooden ladle after cooking well and keep it aside.
- Wash Green Chilli well and cut it as small pieces.
- In a grinder, add 2 teaspoon chopped Shallots, chopped Green Chilli, Grated Coconut, Cumin Seeds and pour a little Water and make thick and fine paste and keep it aside.
- Add Turmeric Powder to cooked Split Yellow Gram and mix well.
- Then add Coconut Paste to this and mix well.
- Pour Water as required and add Salt if required and mix well.
- Boil it well under medium flame and make it thick as desired.
- Turn off the fire and keep it aside.
- Heat a small pan and heat Ghee and splutter Mustard Seeds.
- Then add 1 teaspoon chopped Shallots to this and fry it.
- To this add Curry Leaves and stir well.
- Turn off the fire and add this into a cooked Split Yellow Gram curry and mix well.
- Transfer it in a serving bowl and decorate it with fried Shallots and Curry Leaves and serve it with steamed Rice.
- You can use Coconut Oil instead of Ghee and taste won't change.
- To increase the tastes add Green Chilli pieces when splutter Mustard Seeds.
- You can use Onion instead of using Shallots.
- You can make this dish with Pigeon Pea Lentils also.
- It can cook well without pressure cooker but add Salt after cooking well.
- You can add some Sugar if you need it.
- To increase the flavour and taste add Garlic.
- Its taste will increase if serve it with hot Rice with Ghee.