Tomato kurma is very special and tasty dish and it is an excellent combination with Chapati, Appam and Bread. Tomato is very tasty and healthy vegetable which is available on market at any time. Tomato is super combination to make some other tasty non-vegetarian dishes. We can make a lot of variety dishes by using this vegetable and Tomato Kurma is one of the tasty dishes of Tomato. I have made it 3 times in my house and its taste is really good. Usually we are making Kurma with Red Chilli Powder but I like this type dish so I followed this method. This is very thick dish and I would like to use it with Appam for breakfast. It has the mixed smell and taste of Cinnamon Sticks and Cloves. Poppy seeds give thickness to this dish and it also has the taste of Grated Coconut. This is very good vegetarian dish.
Preparation Time - 15 Minutes
Cooking Time - 20 Minutes
Tomato - 3
Onion - 2
Cinnamon Stick - 2 small
Cloves - 12
Ginger Paste - 1 teaspoon
Garlic Paste - 1 teaspoon
Green Chilli - 5
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Coriander Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Garam Masala Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Black Pepper Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Fennel Seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
Poppy Seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Grated Coconut - 1/2 Cup
Vegetable Oil - 1 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 2 Sprigs
Salt - To Taste
Water - As required to cooking.
- Wash Tomato well and slice it thin and lengthy and keep it aside in a bowl.
- Remove the peel of Onion and wash well and cut it as small pieces.
- Wash Green Chilli and cut it as small pieces.
- Sock Poppy Seeds in water for 5 minutes in a bowl.
- In a Grinder, add Grated Coconut, Green Chilli pieces, Fennel Seeds,socked Poppy Seeds, Salt and pour a little Water and make thick and fine paste.
- Heat a pan, and heat Vegetable Oil in it and splutter Mustard Seeds.
- To this add Cinnamon Sticks and Cloves and fry it.
- Then add Ginger paste and Garlic paste and saute it well.
- Then add Curry Leaves to this and stir well.
- Turn down the fire and add Turmeric Powder, Coriander Powder and Black Pepper Powder and saute it well for sometimes.
- To this add sliced Onion and Salt and saute it well for 3 minutes.
- To this add sliced Tomato and saute it well for 2 minutes.
- Then add Grated Coconut Paste and saute it well for 3 minutes to remove raw taste and smell.
- Pour enough Water to this and mix well.
- Cover the pan with lid and cook it well under medium flame and make it thick as you like.
- To this add Garam Masala Powder and mix well.
- Turn off the fire and transfer it in a serving bowl and serve it with Chapati, Appam and Idiyappam.
- Red Chilli Powder gives Red colour of this dish so you can add this if you need.
- If you need too much thick dish make it thick as desired.
- If you need spicier dish add more quantity of Green Chilli or Black Pepper Powder.
- Curry Leaves is optional ingredient so use it if you need and you can use Coriander Leaves instead of this and it gives variety taste and smell.