Tomato Sambar is entirely different tasty dish comparing other Sambar dishes. Its main ingredient is Tomato which is very good for health. This is very tasty dish and it is little bit spicy and also has thick consistency. We need not to add so many ingredients to make this dish and all ingredients are completely natural. This has the good smell of Sambar Powder, Fenugreek Seeds Powder and Asafoetida Powder. Totally this is very good and healthy vegetarian dish.
Cooking Time - 25 Minutes
Decoration - Fried Shallots and Curry Leaves
Tomato - 5
Red Lentils - 1/2 Cup
Onion - 2
Green Chilli - 2
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Red Chilli Powder - 1 teaspoon
Coriander Powder - 2 teaspoon
Sambar Powder - 1 teaspoon
Fenugreek Seeds Powder - 1 Pinch
Asafoetida Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Tamarind Pulp - 1/2 teaspoon
Grated Coconut - 1/2 Cup
Coconut Oil - 1 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Chopped Shallots - 1 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 2 Sprigs
Salt - To Taste
Water - As required to cooking.
- Wash Tomato well and slice it thin and lengthy and keep it aside in a bowl.
- Wash Red Lentils well and put it in a pressure cooker.
- Pour Water as required to cooking and add Salt and cover it with lid and cook it well.
- Leave it for sometimes to release the pressure completely.
- Then open the cooker and mash cooked Red Lentils well by using a wooden ladle and keep it aside.
- Remove the peel of Onion and wash well and slice it small.
- Wash Green Chilli well and cut it as small pieces.
- In a grinder, add Turmeric Powder, Red Chilli Powder, Coriander Powder, Sambar Powder, Grated Coconut, some Curry Leaves and Salt and pour a little Water to this and make thick and fine paste and keep it aside.
- In a pan, add sliced Tomato, sliced Onion, chopped Green Chilli, some Curry Leaves and Salt to taste and pour enough Water to cooking.
- Cover the pan with lid and cook it half under medium flame.
- Then add cooked and mashed Red Lentils to this and mix well.
- To this add thick and fine paste of masala and mix well.
- Then add Tamarind Pulp to this and pour Water if required.
- Cover it with lid again and boil it and cook it well and make it this as desired.
- Turn off the flame and keep it aside.
- Heat a small pan and heat Coconut Oil and splutter Mustard Seeds in it.
- To this add chopped Shallots and fry it.
- Add Curry Leaves to this and stir well.
- To this add Fenugreek Seeds Powder and Asafoetida Powder and saute it well and turn off the flame.
- Add this into cooked Tomato Sambar and mix well.
- Transfer it in a serving bowl and decorate it with fried Shallots and Curry Leaves and serve it with hot plain Rice, Dosa, Appam and Chapati.