This is one protein rich stir fry and it can serve as the side dish with hot plain rice for lunch and dinner. It is having the mixed taste of both Banana Flower and Green Gram. This is completely traditional tasty dish so I prepared this with Grated Coconut. We can make this type of dishes by mixing Red Cow Peas and Black Chick Peas. Banana Flower has a lot of health benefits and it reduces blood pressure and weight. This stir fry is very useful for diabetic patients. This is completely a Kerala style traditional dish and its taste is really good. This is spicy-less dish and it is very simple and easy method.
Preparation Time - 15 Minutes
Cooking Time - 30 Minutes
Banana Flower - 1
Green Gram - 1 Cup
Garlic Cloves - 4
Onion - 2
Green Chilli - 5
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Red Chilli Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Grated Coconut - 1 Cup
Coconut Oil - 1 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Chopped Shallots - 1 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 2 Sprigs
Salt - To Taste
Water - As required to cooking.
- Remove the first layer of Banana Flower and wash well and chop it well.
- To this pour Coconut Oil and mix well with hands.
- Then add Salt to this and mix well again with hands.
- Wash Green Gram well and put it in a pressure cooker.
- Pour enough Water to cook and add Salt to this.
- Cover it with lid and cook it well. ( Don't overcook it)
- Leave this to release the pressure completely and open it and put cooked Green Gram in pot or bowl and keep it aside.
- Remove the peels of Garlic and Onion and wash well and chop it well.
- Wash Green Chilli well and chop it.
- In a grinder, add chopped Garlic, chopped Onion, chopped Green Chilli, Turmeric Powder, Red Chilli Powder, Grated Coconut, some Curry Leaves and Salt and crush it.
- Heat a pan and heat Coconut Oil and splutter Mustard Seeds.
- To this add chopped Shallots and fry it.
- Then add Curry Leaves and stir well.
- Add chopped Banana Flower to this and saute it well for 5 minutes.
- Then add crushed Grated Coconut mixture too this and saute well.
- Pour enough Water to cook and cover the pan with lid and cook it half under low flame.
- Open it and add cooked Green Gram into this and mix well.
- Cover it with lid again and cook it well and stir occasionally.
- Turn off the fire when Water evaporates completely and transfer it in a serving bowl and serve it with hot plain Rice for lunch and dinner.
- It will be good if add fried dried Red Chilli to this.
- Garlic is an optional ingredient so use if you like its flavour.
- To get better taste and smell add some Cumin Seeds when crush the mixture.
- You should not overcook Green Gram so take care while cooking it otherwise its taste will change.
- Its taste will increase if add more quantity of Onion.