This is very rich and delicious non-vegetarian dish. This is very tasty with thick gravy and its main specialty is that Beef cooked in Coconut Milk. In Kerala, it is also known as Beef Mappas. This is completely Kerala Style dish and one of the favourite dish for them. We can use this same method to make Chicken and Fish. It is also useful to make some vegetarian dishes such as Potato, Green Peas and Mushroom. Beef Mappas is my favourite dish and Coconut Milk can give creamy effects. To increase creamy effect of this dish you can add Cashew Nut paste and Almond Paste. This is mainly preparing my house for Christmas and Ester. This is medium spicy dish and good to serve as the side dish with breakfast, lunch and dinner. It has the mixed flavour and smell of Cardamom and Cloves.
Preparation Time - 15 Minutes
Cooking Time - 30 Minutes
Beef - 1/2 kg
Onion - 2
Shallots - 10
Chopped Ginger - 1 teaspoon
Chopped Garlic - 1 teaspoon
Cardamom - 2
Cloves - 2
Cinnamon Stick - 2(1/2 inch length)
Green Chilli - 3
Tomato - 1
Turmeric Powder - 3/4 teaspoon
Black Pepper Powder - 2 teaspoon
White Pepper Powder - 1 teaspoon
Coriander Powder - 2 teaspoon
Garam Masala Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Medium Thick Coconut Milk - 1 Cup
Thick Coconut Milk - 1/2 Cup
Coconut Pieces - 1/4 Cup
Coconut Oil - 1 tab spoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 2 Sprigs
Salt - To Taste
Water - 1/2 Cup
- Cut Beef thin and big pieces and wash it well and keep it aside in a bowl.
- Remove the peels of Onion and Shallots and wash well and chop well.
- Wash Green Chilli and Tomato and slice thin and lengthy.
- Cut Coconut Pieces 1 inch lengthy.
- Put Beef pieces, 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder, some Curry Leaves, Coconut Pieces, Salt and 1/2 cup Water in a pressure cooker and cook it half.
- Leave it to release the pressure completely and open it and put half cooked Beef pieces in a pot.
- Heat Coconut Oil in a pan and splutter Mustard Seeds in it.
- Add Cardamom, Cloves and Cinnamon Sticks to this and fry well.
- Then add chopped ginger and chopped Garlic and saute well until fry.
- Add chopped Onion and Shallots to this and saute well for sometimes.
- Add Salt to taste and sliced Green Chilli and Curry Leaves and saute well for 5 minutes.
- Add sliced Tomato to this and saute well for a minute.
- Turn down the fire and add remaining Turmeric Powder, Black Pepper Powder, White Pepper Powder and Coriander Powder and mix well.
- Add half cooked Beef into this and pour medium thick Coconut Milk and mix well.
- Cover the pan with lid and cook Beef well under medium flame and make it thick as desired.
- Pour thick Coconut Milk to this and add Garam Masala Powder and mix well.
- Turn off the fire when it starts to boil and mix well again.
- Transfer it in a serving bowl and serve with Bread, Chapati and Appam.
- Don't add Red Chilli Powder when make this dish otherwise its colour and taste will change.
- You can change the quantity of Green Chilli and Pepper Powder based on your taste.
- To increase the taste and thickness use 1 Potato.