Parotta is one favourite item for everyone especially for Keralites so they can't avoid it from their life. It can be used as breakfast, lunch and dinner. It was getting only from hotels earlier but now we are making it from houses. It is considering as the main item when guests come home. Usually it will be available in the evening time. We are using Maida for making this and it helps to get soft and layered Parotta. Health conscious people can use Wheat Flour to make this. We are using more quantity of Oil to make this so it is not that much good for health. We can make it very easily at home with practicing. I am making Parotta in my home when I am free and I was facing difficulties to make Parotta first time but now I can do it well without any difficulties. I would like to have this with any Chicken dishes. Here, I made completely vegetarian Parotta so I haven't used Milk and Egg. This is completely Kerala style layered Parotta.
Preparation Time - 15 Minutes
Waiting Time - 2 Hours
Cooking Time - 30 Minutes
Maida or All Purpose Flour - 1 Cup
Vegetable Oil - 1/2 Cup
Lukewarm Water - 1/4 Cup
Sugar - 1 teaspoon
Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- Put Maida or All Purpose Flour in a deep bowl and add Sugar and Salt and mix well.
- To this add Lukewarm Water little by little and mix it well by using hand.
- Then pour 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil and mix well and make smooth and sticky dough like a big ball.
- Add 1 teaspoon Vegetable Oil on this and cover it with clean White cloth and leave it for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, divide the dough into equal portions (It will be depends upon the quantity of Maida).
- Take a portion of the dough and grease on the platform with Oil to work out and roll the dough as much you can stretch.
- Then add a little Oil on it and spread it and pick up from one corner and make a swiss roll and turn it and push the edge at the bottom.
- Similarly do it for every dough portion and cover it with cloth and leave it for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes take one rolled dough and roll it again well as much you need.
- Do the same process for remaining rolled dough.
- Heat a pan and place one rolled dough and cook both sides well or until Brown colour and brush some oil on both sides.
- Do it similarly for remaining rolled dough.
- Place a cooked Parotta on the platform again and press it gently from both sides to get good layer.
- Repeat this step for each cooked Parotta.
- Serve it in a serving plate with any vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes.
- To get healthy Parotta use Wheat Flour to make this.
- You can use any Refined Oil to make this but Vegetable Oil is better.
- Use Sugar if you need it and you can use 2 Eggs if you want.
- It will be soft and good if you keep dough for long hours.
- You can use Warm Milk for mixing instead Lukewarm Water.