Bilimbi is available with good and attractive Green colour which has sour taste. It is mostly available in Kerala and it is also known as 'Elumban Puli'. We can make different tasty dishes with this and Bilimbi pickle is very famous dish with this. We are mainly using it to make Fish curries because of its sour taste. It also has a lot of health benefits and it reduces blood pressure and cholesterol level from the human body. I have made Pickle, Fish, Wine and juice with this Bilimbi. Today, I would like to share very tasty sweet and spicy Bilimbi Pickle. It has completely variety taste and smell and it is sweet pickle. This is my first attempt with Bilimbi but earlier I made sweet pickle with Raw Mango. Here I changed the method from that and I got very good and tasty result finally. We can't identify the main ingredient when we use it. It has the mixed taste of spice, sweet and sour taste and I like this combination very much. I tasted it from one Restaurant which is located in Bangalore and I got it as the side dish with Biriyani. I loved this taste so I tried it in my home and I used Curry Leaves as additional ingredient. This is an excellent combination with Rice with Samabar and Aviyal.
Preparation Time - 15 Minutes
Cooking Time - 20 Minutes
Bilimbi - 25
Green Chilli - 1
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Red Chilli Powder - 2 teaspoon
Jaggery - 250 gm
Sesame Oil - 2 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Fenugreek Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Asafoetida Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 2 Sprigs
Salt - To taste
Water - 1/2 Cup
- Wash Bilimbi well and cut it into two pieces.
- Cut each pieces into 4 pieces and keep it aside in a bowl.
- Wash Green Chilli well and chop it.
- Put Jaggery in a pan and pour Water as required.
- Stir well under medium flame until dissolve it completely and make Jaggery Syrup.
- Leave it for cool and strain it through strainer and keep it aside.
- Heat a pan and pour sesame oil and heat it well and splutter Mustard Seeds in it.
- To this add Fenugreek Seeds and Curry Leaves and fry it.
- Then add chopped Green Chilli and saute well.
- Turn down the fire and add Turmeric Powder and Red Chilli Powder and saute it well.
- To this add Bilimbi pieces and add Salt and mix well.
- To this add Jaggery Syrup and mix well.
- Boil it and make it thick under medium flame.
- To this add Asafoetida Powder and mix well.
- Turn off the fire and transfer it in a serving bowl and serve as the side dish with hot Rice.
- To get exact taste of this pickle use fresh Bilimbi.
- You can use Vinegar if you need more sour taste.
- You can adjust Red Chilli Powder based on your taste.
- You can use Sugar Syrup instead of using Jaggery Syrup.
- To store it for long term keep it in dried airtight bottles.