Black Chickpeas Curry is one favourite dish for everybody always. Mainly we are using it as the side dish with Dosa, Idly, Appam and Bread for Breakfast. It can also serve as the side dish for both lunch and dinner. It is very healthy because it is protein rich item. So many are not aware about its benefits but everyone knows about its taste. We are making Black Chickpeas curry in home by using different methods. Every place will have their own style to make this dish and its taste will change based on the method which we used to make. We can use our new and innovative ideas to make this dish. This is one of my favourite dish so I made it in different ways. I used to make it spicy, spicy less, with and without Coconut. We will get both Black Chickpeas and White Chickpeas in market. Both are really good and tasty but mainly we are making dishes with Black Chickpeas.
Black Chickpeas in Coconut gravy is one traditional dish and it is made by using South Indian style. Keralites can't avoid Coconut and Coconut Oil when make dishes. So here also I used Coconut and Coconut Milk for cooking it. It is also have creamy effect and it will be better for children because it is medium spicy dish. This is very healthy dish which can make very easily at home by using this simple method.
Preparation Time - 15 Minutes
Cooking Time - 30 Minutes
Black Chickpeas - 1 Cup
Shallots - 10
Onion - 1
Garlic Cloves - 3
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Dried Red Chilli - 2
Red Chilli Powder - 1 teaspoon
Coriander Seeds - 1 tab spoon
Grated Coconut - 1/2 Cup
Coconut Milk - 1/2 Cup
Coconut Pieces - 1/4 Cup
Garam Masala Powder - 1 teaspoon
Coconut Oil - 1 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 2 Sprigs
Water - Required for cooking
- Sock Black Chickpeas in Water for overnight.
- Next day, wash it well and put it in a pressure cooker.
- Pour enough Water into this and add Curry Leaves, Coconut Pieces and Salt.
- Cover it with lid and cook it well and leave it for sometimes to release pressure completely.
- Remove the peels of both Onion and Shallots and wash well and chop it.
- Remove the peel of Garlic Cloves and wash well.
- In a grinder, add Garlic Cloves, dried Red Chilli, Red Chilli Powder, Coriander Seeds, Grated Coconut, Curry Leaves and pour some Water and make it thick paste.
- Heat Coconut Oil in a pan and splutter Mustard Seeds.
- Add chopped Shallots and Onion and saute well.
- Add Coconut paste into this and saute well for 5 minutes.
- Pour enough Water and cover it and cook it well and make it thick as desired.
- Add Coconut Milk into this and mix well.
- Then add Garam Masala Powder and mix well.
- Turn off the fire and serve it in a serving bowl with Chapati, Bread and Appam.
- If you need add some Black Pepper Powder.
- You can adjust the quantity of spices based on your taste.
- To increase the tastes and smell of this dish use roasted ingredients to make Masala paste.
- To increase the smells of this dish add some Fennel Seeds Powder.