Onion Raita is one famous side dish and it is mainly using with Biriyani, fried Rice and Ghee Rice. Everyone has tasted it so I need not explain its taste. It is very easy to make at home and we can make it in different ways but taste will almost similar if we use any method. It is one spicy less Raita which is made by Onion and Yogurt. It will be very special and favourite for each and every one especially children. It is also very healthy Raita and it can make within few minutes with limited ingredients. We are using different types of pickles and Raita with Biriyani and Fried Rice but we need to get Onion Raita with these dishes because it is the super combination. Today, I decided to get some variety taste so I used Cumin Seeds here. We can get different flavour when add this ingredient. Cumin Seeds are super combination with Yogurt. To get a little spicy I used Green Chilli. I used very thick Yogurt to get thick Raita. There are a lot of different Raita such as Tomato Raita, Cucumber Raita, Mint Raita and Fruit Raita but Onion Raita is very popular among them. It is better to use in summer season to get cooling effects. I would like to have this with hot plain Rice for lunch and dinner. Sambar and Aviyal is the better combination with this dish for Rice. It is very simple recipe and it can also give freshness. This is completely vegetarian side dish that is made with only natural ingredients. We all will have tasty food this with tasty and healthy Onion Raita. Let us enjoy with this.
Preparation Time - 15 Minutes
Cooking Time - 5 Minutes
Onion - 2
Green Chilli - 2
Yogurt - 1 Cup
Cumin Seeds Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 1 sprig
Salt - To Taste
- Peel the skin of Onion and wash well and slice it thin and lengthy and put it in a bowl.
- Add Salt into this and mix well.
- Wash Green Chilli well and chop it.
- Wash Curry Leaves well and chop it.
- Pour Yogurt in a bowl and add Salt into this and beat it well with spoon for 2 minutes.
- Take a big bowl and add sliced Onion with Salt, chopped Green Chilli and chopped Curry Leaves and mix well.
- Then add Cumin Seeds Powder and Yogurt into this and mix all together with a spoon.
- Serve it in a serving bowl with Biriyani, Fried Rice and Ghee Rice.
- It would be better if you add fresh chopped Coriander Leaves instead Curry Leaves and it will help to get good taste, smell and freshness feel.
- To get variety tastes add both Ginger Juice and Lime Juice.
- You have to choose thick Yogurt with less sour taste to make this Onion Raita.
- You can add some Black Pepper Powder if you need.
- To get more softness rub Onion well with hands.
- You have to serve it immediately after preparation to get freshness.