Usually I am using dried cowpeas for making dishes because it will be available in everywhere. Cowpeas are mostly used by both North Indians and South Indians. All dishes with this are very tasty and very good to human body.
Today I made very easy dish that is called as fresh Cowpeas Pepper fry. You can easily understand that I used fresh Cowpeas here from its name. This is an excellent combination with hot plain Rice for lunch. I am really happy to share this dish to all. Fresh Cowpeas which I used were there in my home. So it is completely healthy, natural and fresh. Cowpeas are protein rich item so it is very good to health. We need not to sock it in Water because it is fresh Cowpeas and it can cook very easily. The taste of this dish is entirely different from other dish. I have used only Black Pepper Powder as spice. I used less ingredients to make this dish but taste is nice. Try to make this tasty dish and enjoy well.
Preparation Time - 10 Minutes
Cooking Time - 20 Minutes
Decoration - Fried dried Red Chilli and Curry Leaves
Fresh Cowpeas - 2 Cups
Shallots - 10
Onion - 1
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Black Pepper Powder - 1 teaspoon
Garam Masala Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Fennel Seeds Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Coconut Oil - 2 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Dried Red Chilli - 4
Curry Leaves - 2 Sprigs
Salt - To Taste
Water - Required for cooking.
- Remove the peel of Long Beans and take cowpeas from inside alone and put it in a bowl and wash well.
- Peel the skins of Shallots and Onion and wash well and chop well.
- Take a small pan and add Fresh Cowpeas, chopped Shallots, chopped Onion, Turmeric Powder, Salt and enough Water for cooking and mix well.
- Cover the pan with lid and cook it well under medium flame (don't overcook) and keep it in a side.
- In another pan, heat Coconut Oil and splutter Mustard Seeds.
- Add pieces of dried Red Chilli into this and fry it well.
- Then add Curry Leaves and stir well.
- Add Black Pepper Powder and Garam Masala Powder and saute well for sometimes.
- Add cooked Fresh Cowpeas into this and mix all together well.
- Cover the pan with lid and cook it for 5 minutes under low flame.
- Open the pan and add Fennel Seeds Powder into this and mix well.
- Turn off the fire and transfer it in a serving bowl and garnish it with fried dried Red Chill and Curry Leaves and serve it with Rice, Chapati and Appam.
- Don't overcook fresh Cowpeas so add enough Water for cooking.
- White Pepper Powder also can use instead Black Pepper Powder.
- You can use any refined Oil instead Coconut Oil and change oil as per your choice.
- To increase the taste of this dish fry some chopped Shallots in Coconut Oil.
- You have to stir occasionally when cooking it.