In Kerala, Tender Jackfruit is also known as Idi Chakka and this name is very popular. Jack Fruit and Tender Jackfruit dishes are favorite item for them. Tender Jackfruit is small jackfruit so we are using it to make stir fry. But here I made one variety dish with this which is called as Tender Jackfruit Masala. This is completely traditional Kerala Style dish and it can be made very easily at home. This is little bit spicy dish and very tasty. Jack Fruit is there in my home and this is the season for Tender Jackfruit. This types of dishes are available only in houses, we can't get it from hotels. Tender Jackfruit is available in some super markets. This is very healthy and natural dish. Usually I was making stir fry but today I decided to make one variety tasty dish. This dish is having the taste of Sour, Spice and Masala taste.
Preparation Time - 15 Minutes
Cooking Time - 30 Minutes
Decoration - Fried Red Chillies
Tender Jackfruit - 1
Garlic Cloves - 3
Cloves - 2
Cardamom - 2
Shallots - 10
Onion - 1
Tomato - 1
Green Chilli - 2
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Dried Red Chilli - 10
Coriander Seeds - 1 tab spoon
Black Pepper Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Garam Masala Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Grated Coconut - 1 Cup
Coconut Milk - 1/4 Cup
Coconut Oil - 2 tab spoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Broken Dried Red Chilli - 3
Curry Leaves - 2 Sprigs
Salt - To Taste
Water - Required for cooking.
- Remove the Green colour peel of Tender Jackfruit and cut it as small cubes and wash it well 2 times and keep it aside.
- Peel the skin of Garlic and wash well and chop it.
- Remove the peels of Shallots and Onion and cut it as thin and small.
- Wash Tomato well and cut it as small pieces.
- Wash Green Chilli well and slice it lengthy.
- In a grinder, add Grated Coconut, Dried Red Chilli, Coriander Seeds, sliced Green Chilli, chopped Tomato, chopped Onion, some Curry Leaves, Salt and enough Water and make thick and fine paste.
- Heat a pan and heat Coconut Oil and splutter Mustard Seeds.
- Add Curry Leaves and chopped Garlic Cloves and fry it.
- Then add Cloves and Cardamom and fry it well.
- Add dried Red Chilli and chopped Shallots and add Salt to taste and saute well until Brown colour.
- Turn down the fire and add Turmeric Powder and stir well.
- Then add Masala paste into this and saute well for two minutes.
- Add Tender Jackfruit into this and saute well for 5 minutes.
- Add Black Pepper Powder into this and mix well.
- Pour enough Water for cooking and cover it with lid and cook it well under medium flame and make it thick as desired.
- Pour Coconut Milk and Garam Masala Powder and turn off the fire when it starts to boil.
- Mix well again and transfer it in a serving bowl and garnish it with fried dried Red Chilli and serve it with Rice, Bread and Appam.
- To get good taste use roasted Grated Coconut, dried Red Chilli and Coriander Seeds to make Masala paste.
- You can add chopped Ginger if you need.
- You can add Fennel Seeds Powder instead Garam Masala Powder.
- You can add some Cumin Seeds to get good taste.
- To get variety taste and flavour add Coriander Leaves instead Curry Leaves.