Black Gram is one Black colour Beans which is mostly used in Indian dishes. It contains a lot of health benefits. It helps to boost energy, reduces pains and increases immunity power. Black Gram has many names in different places. It is the main source of minerals, Vitamins, Protein and antioxidants so it is very useful for vegetarians. It will be available in shops and supermarkets. It is very tasty item so we can make many tasty dishes with this. Its taste will increase if make it little spicy. This dish is not there in hotels so I can say that it is completely a homemade dish. I have made spicy dish with this many times in my home. I like its traditional taste and smell very much. Its main flavours are Garlic and Cloves. To increase its taste I used Coconut Milk for cooking it. Garam Masala Powder can give Masala flavour to this dish. Here, I mixed both Garam Masala Powder and Black Pepper Powder. It is super combination with Chapati and hot Rice.
Preparation Time - 10 Minutes
Cooking Time - 30 Minutes
Decoration - Dried Red Chilli
Black Gram - 250 gm
Garlic - 1 teaspoon
Cloves - 2
Onion - 1
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Dried Red Chilli - 3
Black Pepper Powder - 1 tab spoon
Garam Masala Powder - 1 teaspoon
Coconut Milk - 1/2 Cup
Coconut Oil - 1 tab spoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 2 Sprigs
Salt - To Taste
Water - Required for cooking
- Put Black Gram in a pan roast it well and wash it well for many times and put it in a pressure cooker.
- Add Salt and Water for cooking and cover it with lid and cook it well (don't overcook).
- Leave it for sometimes to release the pressure completely.
- Remove the peel of Onion and wash well and chop it.
- Wash dried Red Chilli and cut it as small pieces.
- Heat a pan and heat Coconut Oil and splutter Mustard Seeds.
- Then add chopped Garlic and Cloves and fry it.
- Add Curry Leaves and dried Red Chilli into this and fry well.
- Add chopped Onion and enough Salt and saute well until golden Brown colour.
- Turn down the fire and add Turmeric Powder and fry it.
- Add Black Pepper Powder into this and fry it.
- To this add cooked Black Gram and mix well.
- Pour Coconut Milk into this and mix well and cover it and cook it and make it thick as desired.
- Add Garam Masala Powder into this and mix well.
- Turn off the fire and put it in a serving bowl and decorate with dried Red Chilli and serve it hot with steamed Rice.
- To get exact taste of this dish roast Black Gram before cooking.
- You can use Shallots instead Onion.
- To save cooking time add a little Lime Juice.
- Coconut Milk is optional ingredient so use it if you need.
- Use any Vegetable Oil instead Coconut Oil.
- You can use Red Chilli Powder instead Black Pepper Powder.
- To increase taste add fried Coconut slices.